just asking,is this mod ever going to be updated again?

Obsidian General.
tundra_cool
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by tundra_cool »

Woo, I'd love to give OC another go.
Fenrir
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Fenrir »

skidz wrote:Its nice to see we still have supporters after all of the delays. Not only am I somewhat taking a break from Obsidian, I am also trying to think of some good additions that would really separate Obsidian from every other Half-Life 2 coop mod. Something that would bring in the players. Unfortunately we need some modelers to actually get somewhere.
Aye skidz, you got my support all the way.
Unfortunately I'm not much good at mapping or modeling.
:(
I will spit right in your fraking face.
How does it taste? After the lips are sealed below your waist,
You will never frak again.
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

skidz wrote:Its nice to see we still have supporters after all of the delays. Not only am I somewhat taking a break from Obsidian, I am also trying to think of some good additions that would really separate Obsidian from every other Half-Life 2 coop mod. Something that would bring in the players. Unfortunately we need some modelers to actually get somewhere.
Like, MOAR VEHICLES?

:o
Fenrir
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Fenrir »

You're obsessed aren't you?
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

I like your butt.
Fenrir
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Fenrir »

NO MEANS NO MISTER.

NOT LIKE THIS, NOT LIKE THIS!
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

:dance:
Hyperjag3
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Hyperjag3 »

tundra_cool wrote:Woo, I'd love to give OC another go.
O hai thar Brian. :o
tundra_cool
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by tundra_cool »

Jory. :O

I'm gonna download this when I get home.
Hyperjag3
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Hyperjag3 »

I'll let you in on the 1.3 action, it's much better ;).
tundra_cool
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by tundra_cool »

Let's make the online business meeting and discuss the serious modifications of video games.
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

skidz wrote:I am also trying to think of some good additions that would really separate Obsidian from every other Half-Life 2 coop mod.
Actual cooperative gameplay? :lol:

Seriously though, I think having some decent maps that actually forced players to work together would do a lot for oc. Because while new features may be nice, they won't do any good if none of the maps take advantage of them. I agree with Steve in the need for first-party maps, as attempting to rely on the community is likely to result in a bunch of low quality maps that don't provide the gameplay the mod claims to offer (as already shown in both oc and syn, to be honest :? ). People are drawn to coop mods liking the idea of working together and solving puzzles, but leave once they find out that there are only hallways-with-monsters and joke/party maps being played.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Tysn wrote:
skidz wrote:I am also trying to think of some good additions that would really separate Obsidian from every other Half-Life 2 coop mod.

Seriously though, I think having some decent maps that actually forced players to work together would do a lot for oc. Because while new features may be nice, they won't do any good if none of the maps take advantage of them. I agree with Steve in the need for first-party maps, as attempting to rely on the community is likely to result in a bunch of low quality maps that don't provide the gameplay the mod claims to offer (as already shown in both oc and syn, to be honest :? ). People are drawn to coop mods liking the idea of working together and solving puzzles, but leave once they find out that there are only hallways-with-monsters and joke/party maps being played.
I cant really decide if its good or bad that one of the most important jobs (mapping) is a community job, i would really like to join as a team mapper, and im sure others like daman, power-mad, hickadam, Oniyuri and fug4life would also like to.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

W0rf0x wrote:
Tysn wrote:

I cant really decide if its good or bad that one of the most important jobs (mapping) is a community job, i would really like to join as a team mapper, and im sure others like daman, power-mad, hickadam, Oniyuri and fug4life would also like to.
Hellz yea. ;)

But seriously, I think Tysn and W0rf0x have it right - new features are great, but if no maps take advantage of them, then it's kinda pointless. OC could have the greatest co-op engine capabilities of any mod, yet still be doomed to failure because none of the maps take advantage of it.

It's like this: maps are what people playing OC see. There's all the nifty behind-the-scenes stuff, and some stuff they see up-front (like new weapons/npcs/fancy-hud/etc.), but for the most part, anyone new to OC sees the maps, and what the maps have to offer. (This is kind of annoying, as in my opinion this is a great mod regardless of any crappy maps.)

That being said, I mean, there is something to be said for having official maps, but there's also something to be said for having community-only maps... Like W0rf0x, I'm not entirely sure which is best, but if there's to be any team mappers I'm definitely applying.

(Hey, just an aside: since this is a co-op mod, maybe we should try out co-op map-making?)
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
Tono-Tako
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Tono-Tako »

DaMaN wrote:
W0rf0x wrote:
Tysn wrote:

Hellz yea. ;)

But seriously, I think Tysn and W0rf0x have it right - new features are great, but if no maps take advantage of them, then it's kinda pointless. OC could have the greatest co-op engine capabilities of any mod, yet still be doomed to failure because none of the maps take advantage of it.

It's like this: maps are what people playing OC see. There's all the nifty behind-the-scenes stuff, and some stuff they see up-front (like new weapons/npcs/fancy-hud/etc.), but for the most part, anyone new to OC sees the maps, and what the maps have to offer. (This is kind of annoying, as in my opinion this is a great mod regardless of any crappy maps.)

That being said, I mean, there is something to be said for having official maps, but there's also something to be said for having community-only maps... Like W0rf0x, I'm not entirely sure which is best, but if there's to be any team mappers I'm definitely applying.

(Hey, just an aside: since this is a co-op mod, maybe we should try out co-op map-making?)
THIS MAN SPEAKS THE TRUTH
Vote for obsidian conflict in moddb
One click a day doesnt hurt your finger