Glowstick + zombies?

Obsidian General.
BlyTwo
Polygon
Polygon

Glowstick + zombies?

Post by BlyTwo »

I just thought of a briliant use for the GlowStick from Gmod: it would make a great zombie survival map or soemthing, where you have no flash lights, and can't shoot when you have a Glowstick, but the Glowstick is the only thing you can use to see anything:
► Show Spoiler
Image (top sig by Ileia)
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Re: Glowstick + zombies?

Post by Gary »

I or any mapper can do this very, very easily in Hammer.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

I had the same idea. Is possible use this as a "weapon" that a npc can carry it in their hands?
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

I'm confused as to why this would take a weapon slot when you can just disable the flash light use in a map and make a light emitting entity
:nyoron:
Gekko
Donator
Donator

Post by Gekko »

Well applying it to a weapon slot would force the players to either protect a) the npc holding it or b) the player holding it. A player holding it would allow more freedom of movement and a higher chance of survival though imo. It also lets players swap out who's the one holding it so the others can use their ammo as well.
I'm more of a player than a forum user, so you'll see me in-game far more than on here.
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

Gekko wrote:Well applying it to a weapon slot would force the players to either protect a) the npc holding it or b) the player holding it. A player holding it would allow more freedom of movement and a higher chance of survival though imo. It also lets players swap out who's the one holding it so the others can use their ammo as well.
Then again what I said still applies as you can't shoot and hold something at the same time in OC anyway
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Unless you dual wield lol
Gekko
Donator
Donator

Post by Gekko »

Using it as a weapon prevents people from griefing servers by taking an object and throwing it where people can't get it as well
I'm more of a player than a forum user, so you'll see me in-game far more than on here.
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

Gekko wrote:Using it as a weapon prevents people from griefing servers by taking an object and throwing it where people can't get it as well
Well whether that is worse than the person who has it not using it and griefing that way. I guess it's just the one of the two evils ideas. I would be awesome to have but will have no use
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Making this a weapon would be far more difficult then just setting this up in Hammer.

In Hammer you could make it a physical object which the player can pick up(no long able to use their gun) or you can attach it to an NPC and have set so when it dies the light goes out. You can also set up invisible walls that will only block the glowstick, so players can throw it somewhere unreachable. All of which is very simple and done within minutes, if you want to turn this into a weapon entity you would have to write it through code as I believe the current scripted weapon system does not support such things.

Do I have to make an example of this?
BlyTwo
Polygon
Polygon

Post by BlyTwo »

well just making it an entity that you can carry and having like a limit of 3 for the map or something, would be good too, but I kinda like the idea of you holding it in your hand rather than it floating where you can just toss it, problem is if you drop it to give to another player you don't want it to still light up, say, it is only light when in your hand, and when on the ground it is off, but has an objective marker on it or something so you gotta get it in the pitch dark
but the main idea is you can only see things close to the player, rather than just aiming your flashlight and shooting (makes for intense gameplay, and exactly as it was said, for having one unarmed person that is in charge of providing light that the others have to guard)
Image (top sig by Ileia)
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

I can't seem to understand the problem with my method. I will go create an example map...
Gekko
Donator
Donator

Post by Gekko »

It's not that we don't understand or have a problem with your method it's just a matter of personal taste. Yes an entity would be easier overall but I just don't find it as appealing. In the end it will be up to the creator to decide based on their personal preference, nobody is right or wrong here.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Reminds me a lot of my Flares concept from back then. http://obsidianconflict.net/forums/view ... =15&t=2591

Since i now know how to model and animate, i could actually start working on them on my own.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

EP1 flares work the same way I wanted to use, but if you want to make it so you can store them, why not just make it so you have to shoot/hit with crowbar to ignite them? You could then keep them in the player inventory and use them at will right?

Honestly, I was just trying to keep you guys from having to code, model, animate and texture a new weapon just for a flare. If you want to take the time to do it then go right ahead, I won't discourage the idea, I just wanted to find an alternative so you wouldn't have to put the relatively large amount of effort into it.

Gekko wrote:It's not that we don't understand or have a problem with your method it's just a matter of personal taste. Yes an entity would be easier overall but I just don't find it as appealing. In the end it will be up to the creator to decide based on their personal preference, nobody is right or wrong here.
Huh? I am confused. I was implying do it through mapping, so that it would be based on the mapper's wants, so it would likely change style depending on the map. If you did it the single entity/weapon way it would be the same for everyone and be more time consuming for the OC team.