Black Mesa Co-op canceled: Could OC fill the gap?

Obsidian General.
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

Maybe try and go to the forum? Post a thread there asking them so that other users there can read it too. And then might help start a fuzz about it and that might give you the attention you need.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

this is exactly what i DON'T WANT
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

And why is that? It might get us known on that forum too and might get the permission.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

or turn totally in the opposite way...

but feel free to ask there and post a link to it
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

O in that kind of way. That we steal content and stuff? Hm.. I'm not taking that risk.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

maybe i'll post there after 1.35 (about 3 weeks after or so) so that they might have heared of it before because of the PR recently (and which will come up with the release itself)
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

Yea then they must know we don't steal content. And then they know we are happy joy joy and got cool maps. And that we are better than Greenland.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

If you use their forum search feature, Obsidian has been suggested by users before.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

a little search and ran into this one:
http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showp ... tcount=208

this something that i really hate, it's like as if we were Facepunch, ffs
JamesKane
Pixel

Post by JamesKane »

Neico wrote:i've been trying to talk to their mod dev since monday now, and it only proves my statement:

mod devs are generally not willing to talk to anyone but their team ffs
We have been having problems with our blackmesa emails. Best to contact us through steam. Here is my link, www.steamcommunity.com/id/Gnosiseisodos .
Idx wrote:Please, have patience and don't give up on it that fast!

They are probably just undecided about the co-op topic and simply to busy to respond at this time. Maybe we have to wait until the mod is released to the public.

But "leave nothing undone", because a co-operation between BM and OC would have much potential in my eyes.
BM Coop is undecided, but my post ( which influenced our wiki ) suggested the odds of it reaching the light of day are low.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

oh, nice to see someone from the devs showing up here :D
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Howdy!

Co-op talk aside, Love what you guys are doing!

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Mr. Someguy
npc_hunter
npc_hunter

Post by Mr. Someguy »

So, those talks getting anywhere?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

On March the 17th 2010, it was announced that Co-op would no longer be featured in Black Mesa. Due to the great amount of problems to port and make Co-op code working, the developers decided to stop its development and focus only in Single-Player and Deathmatch. [1]

Co-op could potentially arrive after the release of SP, but would not be made by the Black Mesa official team. [2]
Taken from the BM wiki

I think if Obsidian considered making another polite letter/application/offer, showing thier interest to convert Black Mesa upon release and demonstrating how it can theoretically be converted (examples of the mapadd system and the ease of converting the HL campaigns, also coupled with the new add-on system) there is the potential to make it work. Though I think you guys need to give them realistic details of what can be physically done, and they need to be informed/given assurances that you'd stick as true to the campaign as much as physically possible.

I just think you need to approach them with a bit of a portfolio. Show them that you're capable of doing a good job of bringing BM to the world of co-op. Don't let them be detered by the other custom aspects of Obsidian, and show them that you managed to stay true when the Half-life campaigns were converted.

I just think its a good idea to approach them for permission to atempt the conversion with a serious attitude, I'm sure they will want confidentiality and quality assurances.

I say all this and it still may not be possible to convert, I guess you just won't know till the release. Also they may not want permission (Though I think its good to state Obsidian's want to have a try at it). They may want BM converted by as many co-op mods as possible (A bit like Adam Foster, he gives permission to anyone to work with his mod). Its all speculation I guess. Though thats not to say you can't approach them, also perhaps the Obsidian Conflict devs will be too busy with their own projects, perhaps it'll be fans of both mods who try to convert. I guess we will just have to wait and see, but I also think you can approach them in a certain way, showing the possibilities are there, should they want to see a co-op BM and give Obsidian permission.

Hope all that makes sense I just got up from bed ;)

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

gah fug and your mass of text...

anyway: the current state is that they know about the idea and that they'll probably decide about it after they release the SP version (before that it's unlikly to hear an awnser from them)