Glowstick + zombies?

Obsidian General.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: Glowstick + zombies?

Post by Shana »

The inventory system is kinda clunky, especially new players have problems with it. Plus, objects you hold with +use can be quite impractical in hectic situations for several reasons.
Having it as an actual "weapon" the way i described is much better, you don't have to worry about it falling out of your hands because it collided with something or someone as you were carrying it around for example.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

I see your point, I just thought making it a weapon would be a lot of unnecessary work when doing it in Hammer would be easier. Of course, I have nothing against making it a weapon if you guys don't have a problem with putting the work into it.
Ranka
Donator
Donator

Post by Ranka »

You could make them attachable to guns ( ゚∀゚)

*tape*
Kamen Rider\Super Sentai\Tokusatsu Maniac
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

That would even be more difficult, also pointless because you might as well use the flashlight then. The point of this is that players must protect the person holding the light.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

solution: weapon_entity
allows you to pick stuff up which is then attached to the hand (i guess using viewmodel for this would be kind of bad as you would need to make a viewmodel for each entity, but attaching a entity via offset list onto the hands would be a cool thing, would require to make yourself visible to yourself first, HELLO VALVE HOW ABOUT AN ENGINE UPDATE FOR MODS!!!)
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I like the talk about making the ep1 flare a weapon. The rest I'm not botherd with.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
BlyTwo
Polygon
Polygon

Post by BlyTwo »

Well you guys didn't make the OICW (XM29) or the Sonic Sniper, those were HL2 beta designs, there is a stupid looking cartoony flaregun from the beta as well . . .
Image (top sig by Ileia)
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

The flare gun weapon is already a dev weapon in this mod, though Im not sure how long itll stay like that.

The problem with flares is only some npcs are compiled to catch on fire, I'll be looking at this over next day or two as I need antlion npcs to catch fire properly.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

all the antlions need is a proper fire animation, they currently play the in water animation when set on fire
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

I totally wouldn't mind an ep1 flare as a usable weapon. With a limit like nades and everything, and it can be lit and be held at the same time, but you'd have to drop it when switching weapons. But if you do that, make NPC's smart enough to avoid the damn thing while it's on the ground. Nothing kills the mood more than a squad of HECU's running head first into a god damn fire. Or, perhaps a better solution: don't have it set enemies on fire at all. I doubt flares can ignite an antlion or a Combine Soldier with armor in a full-body fire. Maybe hurt them a little...but on fire?

And for god sakes, no flare guns. Ever. Since when do people really use flare guns as an offensive tool? Plus it's not like you'd run up against them everywhere you go. Hell, I think finding a lighter and an air freshener would be simpler AND more effective...Oh my god why isn't that a weapon yet?
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

DisConnected wrote:I totally wouldn't mind an ep1 flare as a usable weapon. With a limit like nades and everything, and it can be lit and be held at the same time, but you'd have to drop it when switching weapons. But if you do that, make NPC's smart enough to avoid the damn thing while it's on the ground. Nothing kills the mood more than a squad of HECU's running head first into a god damn fire. Or, perhaps a better solution: don't have it set enemies on fire at all. I doubt flares can ignite an antlion or a Combine Soldier with armor in a full-body fire. Maybe hurt them a little...but on fire?

And for god sakes, no flare guns. Ever. Since when do people really use flare guns as an offensive tool? Plus it's not like you'd run up against them everywhere you go. Hell, I think finding a lighter and an air freshener would be simpler AND more effective...Oh my god why isn't that a weapon yet?
You have a point there, however the realism stance isn't wildly supported and this is the Source engine we are talking about here.
(On a side note: what with your sig? It makes all your posts look a giant block of text. I nearly skipped this post because of it)
:nyoron:
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

DisConnected wrote:[...]But if you do that, make NPC's smart enough to avoid the damn thing while it's on the ground. Nothing kills the mood more than a squad of HECU's running head first into a god damn fire. [...]
I completely agree on this one.

Honestly, I like Worfox's idea. I vote for that one.
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Lol if we ever redid the inventory system, what kind of inventory would it be? I'd go for a STALKER-like system of looting bodies for ammo and weapons lol

And on the note of flareguns, why not? Even if it's useless in combat, mappers could probably choose which situations they could need lighting (2 flares in ammo count, and longer lasting). To me the object flares that you hold are kinda tedious and clunky when it comes to physics, but hey it all depends on mapper's preference!

Also, if triggers detect the flares shot from flareguns, you could have a scene where you have to shoot in the air to get a chopper or perhaps slowmo point-flare-at-flammable-tank cutscene lol (I've been getting way too many action scenes in my head haha)
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Just because an engine isn't realistic, doesn't mean the games or mods for it can't be to a certain degree. I honestly think some more realistic touch ups could make the mod a lot more funner and fresh, unlike Synergy. *Cough* ironsites being usefull *cough*

Flare gun wouldn't be and isn't (MI wise) a useless weapon. Hell, it would be and is (MI wise) too usefull in combat. Set's pretty much anything on fire... I'd like it as a support weapon, but not an offensive one, unless you're dealing with a headcrab or a wooden helicopter. Stuff like calling in a helicopter or some supplies, or just lighting the way.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

DisConnected wrote:Just because an engine isn't realistic, doesn't mean the games or mods for it can't be to a certain degree.
[/quote]

Exactly.

DisConnected wrote: I honestly think some more realistic touch ups could make the mod a lot more funner and fresh, unlike Greenland. *Cough* ironsites being usefull *cough*
I support this. Also, one way to make iron-sights useful is to disable the cross-hair. Sadly though, most custom weapon models brake this.

DisConnected wrote: Flare gun wouldn't be and isn't (MI wise) a useless weapon. Hell, it would be and is (MI wise) too usefull in combat. Set's pretty much anything on fire... I'd like it as a support weapon, but not an offensive one, unless you're dealing with a headcrab or a wooden helicopter. Stuff like calling in a helicopter or some supplies, or just lighting the way.
Again, I agree with you. Also, I would like it if the flare gun was more of a "mapper's" weapon. Like, the mapper can set it's damage, ammo count and abilities. It would also be cool if we could somehow relay information from the weapon, like when it's been fired and where the projectile is. So it could be used for calling map based events(supply drop, reinforcements, cinematic). So depending on the map, it could be used only for light or it could be something you can use to call in supplies or something completely different.