A multitude of questions.

Obsidian General.
TorndadoAP
Vertex
Vertex

A multitude of questions.

Post by TorndadoAP »

As the title suggests, I have some questions.

1. Do people still play this mod? Seeing as how there's no download link and the fact that everything got screwed up by steampipe, I expect there being very few people who still play this.

2. Regardless of the above question's answer, is there any download link that isn't a torrent? I don't really like to use torrents...

3. Is this mod even still being developed? Is it just sparsely being developed or is it under silent development like how Fistful of Frags was until it came out on steam recently? What exactly is the status of it all?

I loved this mod and do not want to see it die, it was brilliant, but alas the golden age of Source is likely to be over and as such this mod may die with it.
daunknownman2010
Donator
Donator

Re: A multitude of questions.

Post by daunknownman2010 »

1. Only small amounts of players play OC right now as SteamPipe has caused alot of bugs with OC. Thankfully, there was a fix to the mounting so we should hopefully see players again..

2. http://www.moddb.com/mods/obsidian-conflict for the non-torrents.

3. There is no one working on OC right now, it has been a problem for awhile.
OwO what's this???
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

2. Desura also have the stuff, the desura team added it on their own quite a while ago~
TorndadoAP
Vertex
Vertex

Post by TorndadoAP »

daunknownman2010 wrote: 3. There is no one working on OC right now, it has been a problem for awhile.
Well that's sad, looks like this mod is dead... What happened exactly to the previous Dev team?
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Not completely dead, we just have been in hibernation for a while.
The problem is that we do not have anyone working on the code right now, which has been a problem for over a year now. People are either too busy with school/ job etc, don't feel like working on the code or have not made any effort about staying in contact with the team.

Sadly this also causes demotivation in the other departments like modeling and mapping, so everything sort of comes to a halt.

I still work on my maps though, albeit slowly.
ViralHatred
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by ViralHatred »

There are a few of us kicking about, Steampipe broke the mounting system which put a lot of people off, it can be fixed but it requires more diskspace and work to do it. Neico recently fixed up an automated thing to do it for you, just ask if you need the files.

I recently got back into OC, mostly because I want to see it become the mod it was intending to be, and it also seems like a good time to get back into mapping.
raidensnake
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by raidensnake »

ViralHatred wrote:There are a few of us kicking about, Steampipe broke the mounting system which put a lot of people off, it can be fixed but it requires more diskspace and work to do it. Neico recently fixed up an automated thing to do it for you, just ask if you need the files.

I recently got back into OC, mostly because I want to see it become the mod it was intending to be, and it also seems like a good time to get back into mapping.
With the help of neico I was one of first people to do extensive testing for the mount fix on my own dedicated server using test servers to see how it would handle. The servers worked really well and enabled oc to work without any broken mounts. Given the state oc was left in cause of what valve did for now it's the best way to get oc working. It also allows the devs some more time to work on a more permanent fix for this.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

That mountfix certanly is a relief, yet it doesn't solve the bugs that are caused by SteamPipe, so the team is forced to port the code to 2013, with a mountfix or not.

That update was a headshot, we were close to release in Steam, and then we are forced to do more work around, delaying more the moment.

We need coders above all, that's why I stopped to mapping to learn C++ and touching Source deeply on their roots.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos