Garrysmod Port

Obsidian General.
Parakeet
Pixel

Garrysmod Port

Post by Parakeet »

Hi, I'm Parakeet. I spend a lot of time writing lua scripts for Garrysmod. A year or so ago I decided to implement Obsidian Conflict entities in lua so I could play OC maps in Gmod. I also wrote a really simple gamemode to emulate OC. It was pretty successful, but I only ever ended up using it with some friends in a private server. I figured it wouldn't be a good idea to release it since it relied on the OC team's content. A few days ago I remembered I had it sitting on my hard drive, and figured I could at least ask the OC team if they'd let me publicly release it.

So, Obsidian Conflict Team: I'm asking your permission to complete my gamemode and upload it, along with some maps and content from your mod, to the Garrysmod Steam Workshop. I'd make it clear that it was based on your mod and link back to your site. Although it would be running in another mod, I feel like this would be a good way to get your mod more exposure.

I understand that you might be hesitant to trust me and that it could be difficult to reach a consensus, especially with retired members. I've been sitting on this for a long time, so I'm fine with whatever you choose.
daunknownman2010
Donator
Donator

Re: Garrysmod Port

Post by daunknownman2010 »

Interesting, the idea sounds good. That all depends on the team and if they want their content shared. I've given Shana a heads up on this post, but here's one thing: Avoid Tysn's content as much as you can.
OwO what's this???
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

daunknownman2010 wrote:Interesting, the idea sounds good. That all depends on the team and if they want their content shared. I've given Shana a heads up on this post, but here's one thing: Avoid Tysn's content as much as you can.
I remember there was already someone doing this, no idea if is related with the same group: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197975854215/

Pretty much like you said. You have my permission with my maps as long as you give the full credit, and overall, you manage to replicate the same gameplay. I will not accept seeing my maps being butchered.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

Personally, I'm totally against it.

It's still better then what fenix mentioned where people apparently have been stealing stuff without even asking...

First of, even if this would be allowed (which I highly doubt) then you would still need to wait for us or the respective owner of the content to upload it to the workshop to even get a chance to use it.
Why? Because I'm pretty harsh to anyone that tries to make any of oc's content useable via workshop.
The reason behind it is that it's essentially giving away rights and the ability to control your own stuff, which is a total no go...

To quote gmod's workshop rules: "You must be the owner of uploaded submission. Stolen artwork (even edited) is not allowed."
It says that this counts for screenshots, artwork and icons, but I'm refering maps to artwork as well so there's no real difference.

Another rule specific to addons in general is: "Do not release stolen code - All addons that are proven to have stolen code will also be taken down."

So either the owner uploads it or it won't be there at all.

Luckily I'm no content creator or else I'd probably be busy with suing people all day...

On a related note: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/brow ... n+conflict
I see at least one workshop file that needs to be removed...