OC_CANNON Update

Show off work in progress maps.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote:Ouch!

It's not good when you can't get all the stuff you want in and working, scarifices hurt moral :(
I even had a search on the developer wiki for faceposer errors, bugs and stuff, nothing :(
Agreed. It really irritates me when a certain map idea doesn't quite go as planned, and keeps screwing up for no reason whatsoever. I'm thinking of scaling back some of my aspirations for "Return to City 17", otherwise it might never get finished :(

(BTW, Obsidian Conflict is mis-spelt in your sig fug4life ;) )
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Hickadam »

There....

You'd think adding text would be LESS of a pain in the ass than scenes. I learned something today...

:O
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

lmao,

I have a similar amount of text entities in my map less the math counters and ambients!
Btw, I recently found out how to get the damn line breaks to work by copying the square symbol that Valve use for line breaks in the text enties in sdk_hints. Don't know if you knew that, but It's helped me get rid of a few unessercary text_entites.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Hickadam wrote:There....

You'd think adding text would be LESS of a pain in the ass than scenes. I learned something today...

:O
Haha! Wow... that's a lot of text and sound...

I'm almost tempted to chuck the idea of faceposing my npc's for my maps... almost...
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Remember game_text_quick, you can use one game_text_quick ent to spit out any text you want.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

skidz wrote:Remember game_text_quick, you can use one game_text_quick ent to spit out any text you want.
Yea, i'm using it in my map right now instead of faceposer in order to get a feel for what the npc's will be saying. game_text_quick has been VERY useful for me!
Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Hickadam »

Aww.... you mean I could have entered the text as inputs, and theoretically only used ONE game text quick?

If it comes down to ent rationing, I may very well do that. In the mean time, I'll keep what I have.

I really got to start thinking 4th dimensionally...
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Yea

game_text_quick
===============
This is a simple entity usefull if you dont want to create multiple text entities. With this you can pass in a string and it will be displayed.

-=Inputs=-
DisplayText : "Display this message text."

The only reason for multiple text ents would be for position, size, color.
whoever
Polygon
Polygon

Post by whoever »

OMG looking good keep up the good work now i gat more thing to wait for! good luck! :winky:
Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Hickadam »

Alrighty,

After working out some bugs; including some that were inherent in my obsidian installation, I basically have OC_CANNON done.

I've done some preliminary testing on a LAN, it looks to be pretty good.

I can't really test for lag and such, but I can say that it's a fairly complex map. The other system I was running it on is 6 years old, pentium 3 1.8 ghz, with 1 gig of ram and an ATI radeon 9800 pro.

When it was not running as the server, it was still very playable, although kinda chunky in some spots. Not bad though. My other computer, an AMD 2.4 Ghz, Single Core, 1 Gig of ram, and GeForce 7900 doesn't have a problem at all.

There are a couple of buggie things, with the teleport point_viewcontrol's namely, but aside from the occasional annoyance, they don't cause detrimental problems. Sometimes you can glitch other ents, but I tried to build it pretty solid, and they all have a "contingency" plan built into them in case of idiocy. I can't, of course, prepare for all eventualities, partly because i'm at 92% ent data.

So, this chapter is complete; however, as per request, this will be a map series. Now, as to avoid any kind of HORRIBLE timeframe, because this has already been a horribly long time, I've decided to release the first and second maps as a pack, and then the third separate, after it's done. I've built in this map, the ability to switch to the third if you are successful, but if it can't find the map name, it will switch maps as normal.

So hopefully, in the future, it will simply involve placing the new map files in and you'll be ready to roll as a complete 3 part series.

Now, after I work out some final bugs in oc_cannon_2, I'm gonna have to go "back in time" and start oc_cannon_1. This one will be filled with much less experimental content, and thanks to my partner in crime, the basic structure and texturing is already done.

So, as per usual, I hope you will enjoy this series when it is finally available, and I thank you for your support.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

8) Good News!!! If you need any testers? <cough> :D

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

fug4life wrote:8) Good News!!! If you need any testers? <cough> :D
ya need any me and fug4life could see if theres any bugs when put in 1.3 :D
DUDE

Post by DUDE »

let this map be on Z-server its starting to be a boring server not that it is zteer
DJSpib
Vertex
Vertex

OC_cannon AND obsidian conflict

Post by DJSpib »

some 1 pls find a way to make some more ppl to play this game and i whot like to see oc_cannon on a server or maby download it..
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

So my christmas wish list, lets see...

Hickadam I hope you still out there working on this baby!!!

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database