Return to City 17 (previously named coastmap)

Show off work in progress maps.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote:I say no, release now!
You've worked hard now let us play your maps hard :) <--- sorry if that sounds alittle too masculine.

ep2 support is not garunteed, and you can always make changes later, when your work load is alittle lighter and you have time to reflect :D
I must say, fug makes a masculine point...

But yea, regardless of any episode 2 content, I'm still releasing these three maps this weekend. I'm fairly sure nothing in episode 2 will make me re-think the layout of these three maps, being the beginning of the series, so I'm feeling good about releasing them now.

Besides, fug wants to play my maps hard. ;)
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Just been looking at the photos once more, looking forward to the release,
I'm hoping to play these alot this weekend, just gotta pray my pc, isn't overheating as normal!

Anywayz looking good and looking forward to playing :)
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote:Just been looking at the photos once more, looking forward to the release,
I'm hoping to play these alot this weekend, just gotta pray my pc, isn't overheating as normal!

Glad to hear it! :D

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the community thinks of the maps, and the series in general.

I'm aiming towards a late-afternoon (PST) Saturday release, so Sunday morning is likely. (Though I'd love to get it released Friday (tomorrow)...)

But just in case I overshoot my guestimates, my brother and I are working on a bit of a surprise, so... stay tuned!!
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

DaMaN wrote:
fug4life wrote:Just been looking at the photos once more, looking forward to the release,

Glad to hear it! :D

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the community thinks of the maps, and the series in general.

I'm aiming towards a late-afternoon (PST) Saturday release, so Sunday morning is likely. (Though I'd love to get it released Friday (tomorrow)...)

But just in case I overshoot my guestimates, my brother and I are working on a bit of a surprise, so... stay tuned!!
Well, now I'm in a foul mood.

I spent most of the day with my compile not actually working (though hammer "kindly" waited until the end of the compile to tell me that it had run out of memory). So... yea. Now that it's compiled (without cubmaps), I wanted to get some movies put together of the map to showcase as a "surprise" (Surprise!), put it to some music, and release it to show people what the series will be like. But nooooo... I can't for the life of me get FRAPS to work, recording demos then recording them into movies takes up way too much harddrive space (not to mention time), FRAPS still doesn't work, converting demos to avi's is not exactly possible, FRAPS won't work, and FRAPS won't work. Yea. I'm a little pissed off. Very annoyed. Plus I found a bunch of bugs in the map that I had never even imagined before compiling. I figured, one last compile to see what's going on, then see if it all works, then cubemap it and release! But nooooooo... :evil: WHY VALVE?? :evil: WHY DO YOU HATE ME SO!?!?!

Yea... ok... rant's over. I was really hoping to have a video to tide you guys over until the rest of the compiles finish (sometime this century), but FRAPS won't work when I press the "record video" button, Hammer compilations are shoddy at best, and FRAPS won't work.

Ok... now rant's over.

AND ANOTHER THI-

No... rant's over.

Done.

No more rant.

*gags self*

Yea, so it's looking like Saturday afternoon/evening/sundaymorning by the time I get all 3 of the maps cubemapped, compiled, pakratted, and released. :( :evil:

I need sleep.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Sorry to hear, Valve are just a rollercoaster ride of emotions, I know you'll feel much better in a day or two (hopefully) when your running around in your own map watching others enjoy your work! :D

Onto FRAPS, I thought it saved the files in AVI format? and you really should open them in windows movie maker (another buggy piece of software) or whateva? FRAPS shouldn't go wrong? but maybe It can...
I only have the demo version of FRAPS which only lets me record 30 seconds at a time. Considered using source for recording demo's?

Well I hope you get it sorted. :(

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote:Sorry to hear, Valve are just a rollercoaster ride of emotions, I know you'll feel much better in a day or two (hopefully) when your running around in your own map watching others enjoy your work! :D

Hehe, true. I took some time tonight and played Excite Truck for the Wii - smashing up other trucks is good therapy apparently.
Onto FRAPS, I thought it saved the files in AVI format? and you really should open them in windows movie maker (another buggy piece of software) or whateva? FRAPS shouldn't go wrong? but maybe It can...
I only have the demo version of FRAPS which only lets me record 30 seconds at a time. Considered using source for recording demo's?
I downloaded the demo version of FRAPS, expecting it to let me record 30 seconds at a time (I was planning on cutting and pasting avi's with a movie-editing program). But for some reason, when I press the record movie button (default F9), the little icon turns white, goes to 0 fps, then resumes as yellow. No .avi files appear anywhere on my computer - and certainly not where I directed FRAPS to save them. (When you press the record movie button, the FRAPS fps icon is supposed to turn red, indicating that a movie is recording, but mine just stays yellow - I've tried other keys, but no effect).

Source? Recording demos? Not sure what you mean here, but the .dem files Source makes are actually not movies - they're just links to a map with textures and gives a bunch of vectors that Source can re-interpret. So basically a .dem file is Source playing your game. Source can use these to make movies, but it's really time consuming ('cause it makes movies by saving a billion pictures and wants you to put them together into a movie).
Well I hope you get it sorted. :(
Me too. :(
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

In fraps the fps counter should turn red when its recording. Yes I did the same made aload of 30 sec vids and edited them together. try double pressing the F9, Oh just another thing check the installation, I cant remeber why I did this but but I reinstalled mine to just c:\Fraps for some reason

I just looked at my fraps, I record in half size at 30 fps? If that makes any difference?

I know I'm stabbing in the dark!

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote:In fraps the fps counter should turn red when its recording. Yes I did the same made aload of 30 sec vids and edited them together. try double pressing the F9, Oh just another thing check the installation, I cant remeber why I did this but but I reinstalled mine to just c:\Fraps for some reason

I just looked at my fraps, I record in half size at 30 fps? If that makes any difference?

I know I'm stabbing in the dark!
When I saw "reinstalled to C:\Fraps" I thought "No.... it can't be THAT simple..." and apparently it wasn't. I uninstalled FRAPS, reinstalled to C:\Fraps, and it still doesn't work.

Fun fun fun...

I tried every possible combination of capture fps, settings, etc. but to no avail. It still won't work.

So, yea. It's annoying.
TheMoon
prop_static
prop_static

Post by TheMoon »

Suggestion: Release the maps, and let other people do it :D
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

I wanna destroy the whole universal union with that forklift
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

TheMoon wrote:Suggestion: Release the maps, and let other people do it :D
:rolleyes:

Yea, I've kinda abandoned the whole video idea for now. It was just going to be a neat little video to showcase parts of the series with a themesong, but alas, it was not meant to be.

Perhaps when I'm done compiling and after I release the maps, I'll get my brother's camera and just use the goddamn video recorder on it looking at the screen. Hah! Take that FRAPS!!

But yea... still have to make some changes to a few maps. It's not perfect damnit!!
Fire_cube wrote:I wanna destroy the whole universal union with that forklift
I can just see Fire_cube at the base of the Citadel ramming it with a forklift...
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Oh believe me once the Cube goes into one, consider the citadel, level'd!

as for fraps I might have an older version than you, u can try that if you want?

Ive got v 2.8.2 build 6488

I can send if you've got time on your hands and want another try?

I'll make you a damn video once you release :)

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote:Oh believe me once the Cube goes into one, consider the citadel, level'd!

as for fraps I might have an older version than you, u can try that if you want?

Ive got v 2.8.2 build 6488

I can send if you've got time on your hands and want another try?

I'll make you a damn video once you release :)
Hehe, yea, an older version might work better, i dunno. Feel free to send it to me, I'd like to give it a try, but in all likelyhood not until I've released the maps. I've wasted enough time on it already -> the release probably won't be until Sunday morning now :'(

And if all else fails, you'll just have to be my cameraman. ;)
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Sent you an email invitation to the file, yours if you want it.

G'luck

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote:Sent you an email invitation to the file, yours if you want it.

G'luck
Thanks, I'll try it out when I'm building cubemaps after the compiles :)

Speaking of which...

1/3 compiles finished!