Return to City 17 (previously named coastmap)

Show off work in progress maps.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

fug4life wrote:Happy Birthday!

:rockin:

No present for ya, quite the reverse got a present for us? any teaser pics form new wip? No harm in asking... :lol:
I know I was l8 :(
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote:
fug4life wrote:Happy Birthday!

:rockin:

No present for ya, quite the reverse got a present for us? any teaser pics form new wip? No harm in asking... :lol:
I know I was l8 :(
Only by two and a half hours ;)

Well, i hadn't actually planned on releasing any screenshots of this map until I ironed out some more bugs (har har bad pun)... but ok. I guess I haven't released any screenshots for a couple of months now, so it's certainly due.

I'm not going to say much for these shots, trying not to give away too much story, so just enjoy all the pretty pictures. :)

That's it for now. I'll see about putting together a few from the first map in the series (which I'm working my way through). I'm hoping to get the first, second, and third maps in the series released at least in beta version as soon as possible. (No dates! Dates mean overshooting them by months!)

For a bit more news, I've kinda sorta mabye almost settled on my story-flow. Parts are starting to come together, and I'm still going for epic. :)

Should be good. I'm starting to get excited!

Oh, and P.S., in case you hadn't noticed, i've been updating the front of this thread with info about progress and screenshots and etc.
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

:o

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

ooh, that feels pretty HL2ish.

Put some antguards underground, awaiting to spawn. With a trigger around making the !activator unburrow the guard when touching da trigger.

Just to spice things up when touching the sand :o

They're guards anyway, they're supposed to guard the motherland! HURRAH
Hyperjag3
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Hyperjag3 »

Looks great, keep up the good work!
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote::o
:D
Fire_cube wrote:ooh, that feels pretty HL2ish.
Thanks!
Fire_cube wrote:Put some antguards underground, awaiting to spawn. With a trigger around making the !activator unburrow the guard when touching da trigger.

Just to spice things up when touching the sand :o

They're guards anyway, they're supposed to guard the motherland! HURRAH
How did you know what I was doing!! I mean... no... never. :roll: 8)
Hyperjag3 wrote:Looks great, keep up the good work!
Thanks!

============

Yea, so after getting over 4 hours worth o mapping block today, I managed to whip through a major part of the first map in the series. Coming along nicely.

However, it's going to be nuts to compile this map... getting too big...
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

Bwahahaha I AM THE ALL-KNOWING SQUARE.

I mean kewbe.
Mr. Someguy
npc_hunter
npc_hunter

Post by Mr. Someguy »

WOW! thats good, best map I've ever seen not by valve. I thought that was and dunes at first.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Fire_cube wrote:Bwahahaha I AM THE ALL-KNOWING SQUARE.

I mean kewbe.
Silly kewbe, you're three-dimensional!
Mr. Someguy wrote:WOW! thats good, best map I've ever seen not by valve. I thought that was and dunes at first.
Excellent! I'm very glad to hear that!

=============

It's been a while - I was out rock climbing over the weekend up in Squamish, got some awesome climbs done, (and some interesting map ideas, but those will have to wait until this map is done ;)). So I'm back!

Alright, so, yea, yet another one of these annoyingly small updates. But perhaps some stuff to get excited about.

Well, first off, after much correspondance with Hickadam, I finally got my test scene to play in faceposer! YAY!! :D I was really happy, but then I got really sad because it didn't actually work in the map. :evil: So, I'm going to try a few of Hickadam's suggestions for getting the sounds to run ingame, but if none of those work I'm afraid I'm going to have to switch to game_texts. Which are annoying because they're so impersonal, and look so amatuer compared to a fully functional faceposer. Ah well, c'est la vie. Or something like that...

Secondly, the first map in the series is going very well - it's 3:00 AM here after another mapping binge accompanied by suitable rock 'n roll music. I currently have a 3 page list of bugs and tweaks that need to be worked out, but everything that needs to be done has been attempted. Now onto the bug hunting...

But yea, once I iron out most of those bugs I'll get some screenshots up, hopefully sometime this week.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

:runfreeman:

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote::runfreeman:
Hellz yea.

======================

Well, good news bad news time.

Good news: I fixed all 20 bugs!

Bad news: I found/made 40 more!

So yea... it looks like screenshots will be delayed until next week. Map is starting to look pretty good though...

Oh, and more bad news: I've sort-of semi-abandoned the whole faceposer dealy. I wasn't able to get any of my scenes to play ingame unless they had valve sounds, so I wasn't about to start mucking around trying to fix it all. I'll go about doing game_texts for now, but I plan to come back later and get faces on those npc's. :( At least I'll know what everybody's supposed to be saying now ;)
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I really feel sorry for both you and hick, I don't know how much work it takes, but from the brief look I had, I know it's alot. All I can say is give us text format but keep all the faceposer stuff backed up, hopefully one day you'll be able to get it in. Try keep your options open :D

I sort of got the mapping blues, night before no compile, I thought laptop had melted, no I just knocked the power lead out and the battery run out after 2 hrs :(

And I'm about to rebuild my sky box for about the third time :( I sorta went about building my skybox geom in a bit of a backward manner!

:? And as for bugs hammer is proving to be very stubborn.

Don't give up,

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Hehe, yea, hammer can be annoying, and the most bizzare things happen in the middle of compiling (like power supplies being knocked out, Windows crashing, house fires, hurricanes, power outages, etc.)

Fortunately, all but one error in my map I know how to fix, so it shouldn't take too long. (The one I'm not entirely sure on I have some clues, so it's all good.)

But yea, latest compile looked good. A few more bugs that I missed the first 300 times around, but after one or two more compiles I should be ready for some vis compiles. :roll: But I'm hoping for a rough alpha version for next week. Beta soon after that. :)

Never give up! Never surrender!
Deathy
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by Deathy »

I don't want to disappoint you but this map looks like a bad rip of the Half-Life 2 Coast maps.
Many houses are copied and look like the ones from HL2-Coast...
You can release it but i don't find it fair... Rip HL2 maps, give them a new name and then show it as your own map...
:roll: :evil:

Nah... your problem.
oc_28-seconds-later_b2 (90% - on halt)
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I think he wants them to be like hl2 maps. I've played and it's his own work from scratch in terms of building the level, at the end of the day if your not making your own models and textures, it's kinda hard not to look like a hl2 map given the resources. Keeping the same quality as a Valve map is another thing, although I think DaMaN has done a damn fine job.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database