Oc Nerv, Revival! <Released>

Show off work in progress maps.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: Oc Nerv, Revival! <Released>

Post by MaestraFénix »

The friday, after give to Raiden my map (in alpha state) to test it, i decided start with this. Is being hard, since i didn´t expected for example 6 brushes one inside another, but i´m making progress (like resizing the biggest textures, or putting all the textures inside a main folder):

Maybe tommorrow i´ll be able to finish fixing the Central Dogma (25% of the entire map).
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

It took me all this week, but finally i was able to fix the Central Dogma. The fps are between 226 inside and 100 outside, but i think that is fine for the moment (only using nodraw and fixing/remade the brushes). I have to organise and improve the models and the sounds (eliminate some redundant weapons, change file format...).

25% fixed. V2 when it´s done.

Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Appreciate all the hard work Fenix, keep it up :) FOR THE COMMUNITY~!
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

After ending with the project that i was doing, i´m back to work on this.

After some hours working on it i realized that is impossible to fix the map on my own this year. There are too many stuff that needs to be modified (alignments, clips, texture alignment, nodraw, hint & skip, areaportals...), slowing the fixing.

Since the map has a BIG size (is really big on Hammer), i want to divide the work on parts with other people, so the fixing could speed up. Is so big the map, that i don´t want to change any entity yet (although some of them will have to be changed, like the npcs already being spawned on the map).

List of changes done:

Nodrawing all the unseen brush faces.
Align the brushes to the grid.
Remaking those brushes with irregular/wrong geometry.
Moved the textures to a general map texture folder.
Resizing some big textures to save on size.
Adding hint-skip and areaportals to improve the performance.
Using func_detail.

If someone want help me, i´ll send him/her the vmf and the modified file structure.

25% Fixed (fixing on this moment the corridor of the Central Dogma to the elevator).

SANICADVENTURE2
Polygon
Polygon

Post by SANICADVENTURE2 »

Maestro Fénix wrote:After ending with the project that i was doing, i´m back to work on this.

After some hours working on it i realized that is impossible to fix the map on my own this year. There are too many stuff that needs to be modified (alignments, clips, texture alignment, nodraw, hint & skip, areaportals...), slowing the fixing.

Since the map has a BIG size (is really big on Hammer), i want to divide the work on parts with other people, so the fixing could speed up. Is so big the map, that i don´t want to change any entity yet (although some of them will have to be changed, like the npcs already being spawned on the map).

List of changes done:

Nodrawing all the unseen brush faces.
Align the brushes to the grid.
Remaking those brushes with irregular/wrong geometry.
Moved the textures to a general map texture folder.
Resizing some big textures to save on size.
Adding hint-skip and areaportals to improve the performance.
Using func_detail.

If someone want help me, i´ll send him/her the vmf and the modified file structure.

25% Fixed (fixing on this moment the corridor of the Central Dogma to the elevator).
I don't know too much adv. entity usage but I can help with geometry and basic optimization. If you desire send me the .vmf and stuff so I can take a look and fix some stuff.

I'll be glad to help!
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

PM´d.

Dominic
Donator
Donator

Post by Dominic »

I'm not too good with hint skipping but, I know basic of optimization, such as nodraw, recreating geometry, aligning brushes, func_detail help with nodrawing, recreating irregular geometry, aligning brushes to grid, using func detail, I'd like to help if possible.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Well, it is hard, but the first results are starting to be visible:

*It is believed that when using the Cordon tool, we left behind an important light entity, so that would explain why the outside of the Central Dogma is dark.

*The CS:S speaker texture will be remplaced soon for a custom texture.

Thanks to the help of Dominichax and Sanic (that although he has a short experience with Hammer, I appreciate their try and their intention), I can inform that aside of some adjustments (moving the models to the new folder, func_detail more, etc), Central Dogma and the Cinema has been now fixed.

Chapter list:
  • Central Dogma: Fixed.
  • Offices: Under work (Dominichax).
  • Terminal Dogma: Preparing to be worked (Me).
  • The Third Impact: Broken yet.
  • Cinema: Fixed.
I´m thinking about splitting the Terminal Dogma and The Third Impact chapters on little parts, since there are very large.

Remember, the more people helping fixing the map, the sooner it will be released!

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Although I didn´t finished yet the first part of the Terminal Dogma (LCL plant), I made enough changes to show how are going the fixes.

The Clone machine at first some days ago:

Today:

YES WE CAN

Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Oh god, the before image is the infamous carve example I've seen on every tutorial site for hammer :v
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Axel_m3sh wrote:Oh god, the before image is the infamous carve example I've seen on every tutorial site for hammer :v
I think that it was the largest carved object that I found during all the time I´m having with Hammer.

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Here comes an update about how is going the fixing.

I finally finished the first part of the Terminal Dogma, the LCL plant:

Note: Is expected to remplace the horrible brush model of Lilith for a model.

And Dominichax is close to fix the Offices chapter, only left to him to func_detail some more stuff and a bit more of optimization in order to finish it. Now, look the following photos that I took from their VMF, since he had no time to take a bunch of them:

The texture is not longer mirrored like happened with the LCL clone part, but now the room is dark. It must be a value on the texture that envelops the room.

And as a bonus, the cinema again, but this time with the models, and the new speaker texture that I did:

As you can see, I also started to fix and adapt the models and scripts. The performance skyrocketed, mostly on the Offices and the LCL plant vents. Actually, I´m fixing the part where you fight agaisn´t the helicopter boss.

I WANT TO HELP, BUT I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT MAPPING

We found that most of the people that got interested on this fixing wanted to help, but doesn´t have knowledge about how to use Hammer.

Don´t worry, you can help us:

Since most of the soundtrack used on Nerv comes from the Neon Genesis Evangelion OST, or from another places, we can´t really use it legally, so it must be remplaced. The first thing that I would love to know if EMI, Gainax, or whoever is holding now the licenses of the music allows remixes/covers of the original OST.

In the case the covers and remixes were not allowed, I would like to know good music free to use and redistribute to put them here on the map (search for example songs with a CC license).

Chapter list:
  • Central Dogma: Fixed.
  • Offices: Mostly completed (Dominichax).
  • Terminal Dogma:
    • LCL Plant: Fixed
    • Vents and corridors: Under work.
  • The Third Impact: Broken yet.
  • Cinema: Fixed.
We can do it. For FunJob. For all the NGE fans. For OC.

destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

looking nice there fenix good job with it.
it really is a shame funjob quited it after he finished it but to see others do their best to bring back to life such master piece really is nice.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

While we are trying to replicate the original lighting that had the map with lights.rad, Dominichax had again a great idea: Make a public online document to list all the bugs and features to fix, improve and add.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D0s ... p=drivesdk

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Meanwhile we continue filling the report to identify all the bugs, planning the improvements of the gameplay, and fixing the map, I saw a strange thing:

The actual version of the map that I´m working into has some references to cut stuff that were before on the map, as my walkthrough shows (like for an example, a crank which allowed to pass without die on a zone). It looks like the original first version of Nerv A is lost forever, being remplaced with the last one. There´s not explanation about why this "redo" on some parts.

Well, we´ll have to fix that too.