Oc Nerv, Revival! <Released>

Show off work in progress maps.
Funjob
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Funjob »

Maestro Fénix wrote:With so many pictures I can not help asking a question: What is the last thing we see? The chamber where are Lilith? The lake? The end of the film? (You know what I mean)
currently, the last thing you see is seele chanting right before third impact. Depending on your actions, you either survive or don't.

Nerv Beta 1 went with a few hitches. I'll probably run another beta with the suggested changes next week. The voice acting just got done too. The suggested player amount for this map is about 4 players. I can do the map entirely by myself, but then again I made the map. Range test time was about 20-90 mins across 3 test servers. Map showed instability on some systems past 5 people in the server. I received tons of feedback regarding weapon balancing, map flow, and bugs/glitches. Oc_nerv also requires CS:S in order to run. It's able to run without, but there will be purple circus, instability, and no sounds on some things.

The complete weapon list is:
MP7
Gauss Gun
Crowbar
M4a1
MP5n
Mauser C96
MK23
Grenades
Rocket launcher
beretta
raging bull
remington

Bots use the G36

All testers really enjoyed the map, I could see this map coming out in a week or so if the next test goes good.

Also, the complete map file size is around 300mb. You can thank all of the custom weapons, ammo, skins, textures, models, and sounds the map has. Some of the map has gimmicky parts because I've worked on the map for so long, but it doesn't spoil aroma of Nerv headquarters.

I'll post some new screenshots when I get the chance.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

300 mb? No problem if you host the file in MediaFire.

And only we "need" CSS, or is better the gameplay with Ep2? (Ep1 loads automatic if Ep2 is loaded).

P.D: The two (¿o more?) finals are a good decision.

P.P.D: Now, we only need Neon Genesis Evangelion playermodels to be perfect the gameplay :3.

Only a one question more: Is there a place where you can get caught the players? (like two players advance to another room in a elevator, and the others can´t get in it).
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Funjob
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Funjob »

Maestro Fénix wrote: Only a one question more: Is there a place where you can get caught the players? (like two players advance to another room in a elevator, and the others can´t get in it).
Yeah, there is. The map is more small team oriented but the spawns are fixed so they move with the map flow automatically. There is also a way to kill yourself at each level of advancement.
And only we "need" CSS, or is better the gameplay with Ep2? (Ep1 loads automatic if Ep2 is loaded).
You need HL2 and CSS. I didn't use any episode 1/2 materials but I used some hexed CSS weapons and materials.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Want this map, also I liked yesterdays avatar but I guess nothing is forever.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: Oc Nerv, Revival!

Post by MaestraFénix »

Status?

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

I sent a PM to get information about the status of the map. The "You have a pm in OC forums" message appears in Hotmail/Gmail, so he should see the message (hope he see it).

Funjob
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Funjob »

Okay, I got the message, but a little while ago. Sorry I couldn't get on and post some information, but I've been busy as hell attending to my engineering studies at my university. Since summer has approached and school/work has settled down, I can finally get to releasing this.

I will end up releasing this 'as is' because I can't fix all the bugs in the map and don't have enough time to redo the ending and/or fix it. So, the only thing I should really do is recompile the map with the final cut of the voice acting and write out the rest of the credits. It's going to be a nightmare considering all of the hexed weapons I used and how many people were involved with this.

In the meantime, you can check out the screenshots I had with the beta test copy I did a while back. Everything in the map is playable and there aren't any major show stopping bugs in the version I was going to compile.

Puzzle Room 3

Scene from End of Evangelion

Scene used from the movie and the series

Interactive computer terminal

Redone first level transition to second level

Inside Central Dogma

I can't really give a deadline of when I'll have this done because if I say something I have a feeling I won't meet that deadline. So, for now, it's done when it's done.

Questions, concerns?
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

it stil looks good.
as for questions will players have lives?
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
Funjob
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Funjob »

I originally planned it, but I won't include it because of the beta testing results show a lot of problems with people dying too fast/much from the high bullet damages and random traps. Results showed that people would die at least 2 times before the first level was over. There was about a 9-10 death rate on players with no previous experience with the map. They also couldn't reach the real end before time ran out. They're average score in the post game would usually be the last two ranks. Experienced players usually died around 3-4 times. I had runs where I only died once.

In the beta version, I had an in house respawn counter for a mutual lives mode, this was enabled by choice by breaking a duct to enter the briefing room. It had enough health for anyone just to enter the room before anybody could break the damn thing to prevent rage. Hardcore mode also had a few augments and respawn weapon amounts and NPC spawns. Not to mention that every time the player respawns, the people lose a lot of points at endgame. This is done in both modes. However, in mutual lives mode, a counter counts to a certain number of respawns and then sends them to the endgame room when it's reached. I think I had it on 5 after the game starts. Basically I had no test team beat the campaign with Hardcore on. I also had no team receive the highest grade in the room.

In my test group, I had HL2 mod developers, avid HL2 players, and low to moderate FPS players. They played the map 3 times in different test groups under different circumstances. Honestly, looking at some of my log files, I got a lot of good data to improve on my map. I'm more or less disappointed that I won't be able to do a lot of it due of my time constraints.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

frak Yea!! I knew that you will continue doing this art.

Funjob
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Funjob »

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

**Run for see it**

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: Oc Nerv, Revival! <Released>

Post by MaestraFénix »

After several failed attempts to decompile the map, with the last recent version of BSPSource, i was able finally to decompile the map (looks like that the compressed stuff makes the decompile more complex, and BSPSource crash if you remove that content with PakRat). And the worst possibility that i had about the inmmense lag/crash become true:

It doesnt have any type of optimization. ANY. ZERO. No nodraw faces, no func_detail, no areaportals...

Nothing that appears in this screen is optimizated, even the broken screen done with brushes

Also, is pretty evident that FunJob comes from GoldSrc, since i´m seeing a lot of things that it could have been done more easier, like the credits (a simple scroll texture instead of a big brush) and so.

Cinema room. That large part is where is the brush with the credits texture

The simple think about how many time FunJob had to wait to compile the map makes me afraid (is a simple map with 2 rooms and any type of optimization, and it takes a quarter of an hour, imagine when the map has the size of, for example, Broken Escape!!!).

I dont have any idea how many time it will take me fix all (or at least reduce to the half the lag and stop the ED Allocs crash), but this must have to be done (is one of the best maps of OC, and it would be a shame let it die).

Is painful see that all this open and big zone isnt optimizated...

Also, after fix it, we could try improve it, like adding more co-op elements, improve the brushwork/new models, make it coherent with the Anime/Manga....etc.

Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Propper would definitely help in some cases here don't you think Maestro?
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Axel_m3sh wrote:Propper would definitely help in some cases here don't you think Maestro?
Converting large zones/brushwork as models? i didnt thought on that, but yeah, it could help with the optimization.