oc_md_q1e1m1

Show off work in progress maps.
MicDRAGON
Vertex
Vertex

oc_md_q1e1m1

Post by MicDRAGON »

Obsidian Conflict - MicDRAGON - Quake 1 Episode 1 Mission 1

When Source was originally released, I found myself on the edge of my seat waiting for the remakes of the original CS maps. Surely enough, the remakes were fantastic and made good use of the Source/Havok engine.

So with this in mind, I started to look else where for inspiration then it occurred to me. Quake 1. Quake 1 had some fantastic maps which were fun and functional. This is when I got ideas of recreating some of the maps to kind of work with source.

So I've started work on a map based on the very first level of Quake 1. Playing it, you wouldn't tell it was based on that but what I've tried to do is keep the layout as close as possible to the original. This means that the directions you have to go, the secret rooms/button/etc. and more are there. However, I had to compensate for multi-user platforming which was done by just adding a butt load more enemies to lay into.

For those die-hard Quake fans, you should be able to see where I was going with the map. Otherwise, it can be fun to play with some mates in any case.

I'm about 1/4 of the way done. I thought it would be a lot quicker to get this done but I find that I'm putting so much time and effort to try and get the basic architecture to look far less bland that its only prolonging the completion!

Screenshots: http://nnyxlabs.com/md_q1e1m1/
Last edited by MicDRAGON on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

:worthlesswithoutpics:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Forum or should I say topic sepcific tradition.

Seriously nice to hear your working on an OC map but feed us now you have wet our appetites. :wink:
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Cant wait for some screenshots, I'm a real fan of Quake 1. Used to scare the crap out of me.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Ah i remember when I finished quake on Nightmare, i was 7 at the time.
MicDRAGON
Vertex
Vertex

Post by MicDRAGON »

Alright! Here is a link to some ridiculous high resolution pictures of my map in progress.

Keep in mind that it is still in progress, that these pictures were taken by a friend of mine helping me test some stuff and that any of these areas are subject to change over the course of developing it!

http://nnyxlabs.com/md_q1e1m1/
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

That's more like it! good stuff!

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
MicDRAGON
Vertex
Vertex

Post by MicDRAGON »

Update!

Decided to change the lighting based on a suggestion from a mate for the Warehouse/Bridge room.

Gurluas
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by Gurluas »

That is much more different from the original, i can barely recognize it, however i suggest you try to keep it away from the halflife theme.
Try to give it a quakey feeling...Actually i wish the Quake series had retained the theme they had in Quake 1, instead of going all "Cyborgz"
MicDRAGON
Vertex
Vertex

Post by MicDRAGON »

Unfortunately, the "Half-Life Theme" is all thats available to me :P

This was more of an inspiration from Quake then a duplication.
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

You really need a texture pack.

And don't put your name into the map name, makes you sound like a ego fag.
Gurluas
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by Gurluas »

Well try to find some "Gothic" textures, and some high tech stuff and make it similar to quake.
I loved the quake style where you went from a spooky techno punk with zombie soldiers place to a gothic castle with zombie knights.
MicDRAGON
Vertex
Vertex

Post by MicDRAGON »

I object to being referred to as a "ego fag" seeing as all the maps that I make have MD in it. Its just how I do it. Unlike other mappers who insist on blinding you with 1024 x 1024 graphic images of their names and spinning 3d text all in-game.

As for finding the gothic/techno punk textures, if I had them at my disposal, I would remake the map completely with exactly what I had in mind originally.
Tono-Tako
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Tono-Tako »

looks neat, this could be useful to you:
http://www.obsidianconflict.com/forums/ ... php?t=2143
Vote for obsidian conflict in moddb
One click a day doesnt hurt your finger
MicDRAGON
Vertex
Vertex

Post by MicDRAGON »

I'm gonna have a cruise over the net and see if I can find something remotely similar to what I'm aiming for.

So far that "SciFi" one looks kinda close to what I'm aiming for. I will completely remake the map if its as good as I hope!

-EDIT:

So I took a look. The pack itself is very good but not exactly what I'm after. There was however one texture in the pack that looked close to what I'm after..

If I find more textures like this.. or more that fits the whole "Brownish rock/metal/tech" theme, I'd be happy.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Prototstar Released some doomish looking textures for use see this thread and other in the misc. release section of the forums:

http://www.obsidianconflict.com/forums/ ... php?t=2143

And if you haven't seen some of these then check (a texture pack link thread sourceforts):
http://www.sourcefortsmod.com/boards/sh ... hp?p=94935

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database