Zombie Survival (oc_survival)

Show off work in progress maps.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

K, so the house internally looks good.

Night seems a little too dark and day seems to be also (judging from pics).

So at the moment you have a box, I'm hoping there will be more to your map.

So what I can see here are my suggestions

I would suggest having displacements that are higher than the player that the player cannot get to, so the zombies may drop down from a certain area/areas.

I thought perhaps a graveyard on a hill, you could have a locked gate leading to graveyard but otherwise rest of the graveyard is too high for player to access but zomies can spawn and drop into the game area.

Also having displacements higher than player means you can hint bush areas off by having no-draws or walls/occuluders inside the disps. Allowing you to hint brush your map.

Also you can fit your tree cards on the high displacements and save the game area for the odd few high poly trees.

Here's a sample layout that I expertly threw together with paint :wink:

Its basic but if your learning about hint brushing (Like I still am then this will give you an idea of how to hintbrush out door areas, atleast I think).

Its to give areas where zombies can spawn and objects can be hidden in other parts of the map apart from the main game area, where the house and most of the shooting will be going on.

I know its a bit symmetrical but its just an example. All you have to do is subdivide all your displacements, and the ones that have a occuluder or nodraw inside paint the geo so the corners of the nodraw are hidden into the disp geo. and throw a hint brush over the top horizantally above all your vertical hintbrushing.

I would send/make you an outdoor area if your stuck on how to but I'm like halfway across the globe from my broken PC right now :(
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

the house itself looks good cant wait for more.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

I agree with Destiny.
Also, you can actually have night in day?
This is a new revolution in mapping!
BRILLIANT!
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.
KON_Air
prop_static
prop_static

Post by KON_Air »

For starters you need to stop copy pasting hl2 buildings into my rescaled sample map. Build your own geometry respecting to the gameplay and visibility, then start adding buildings and stuff.

Find a better texture then the pitch black texture I used for night sky. Find better lightining values... etc.

I'd hate say but it is not going anywhere untill you scrap that huge box, read more about Vis and lighting.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... pile_Times

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Lighting
KON_Air
prop_static
prop_static

Post by KON_Air »

RocketRunner wrote:I agree with Destiny.
Also, you can actually have night in day?
This is a new revolution in mapping!
BRILLIANT!
And it is my idea/work :P
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

fug4life wrote: Night seems a little too dark and day seems to be also (judging from pics).
Can I place more then one light_env ?
fug4life wrote: So at the moment you have a box, I'm hoping there will be more to your map.
As I said in my last post, the pictures are just of the house, the map itself is still being worked on, I plan on there being a road(where you first spawn), a small town(6 or so wooden buildings), some forest area(hunting) and the yard your house it in.
fug4life wrote: I would suggest having displacements that are higher than the player that the player cannot get to, so the zombies may drop down from a certain area/areas.
That's how many maps do it, I suppose it's the best way to keep the player from going beyond playable areas and a good way to spawn zombies.
fug4life wrote: I thought perhaps a graveyard on a hill, you could have a locked gate leading to graveyard but otherwise rest of the graveyard is too high for player to access but zomies can spawn and drop into the game area.
That's a good idea, I'll try into fitting it into the map concept.
fug4life wrote: I would send/make you an outdoor area if your stuck on how to but I'm like halfway across the globe from my broken PC right now :(
It's fine, I don't mind making the outdoor area, I need to get better at it anyways and I am never happy with anything I make until it's perfect.

Thanks for the comments and ideas.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Oh yeah, we can also have it properly transition from night to day or day to night.

Just need to set up a system at will go to the next letter every few seconds/minutes and a few other things as well.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

That house looks pretty good. Did you make that from scratch?

With some proper lighting, you can bring it up to HL2 quality.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

shiftey wrote:That house looks pretty good. Did you make that from scratch?
No, I am not the best at making houses, I am not really the best at making anything from scratch, but I am great at modifying things so much, you can't tell it apart from the original :D

That building is from the coast level where you defend a small rebel outpost from the light house against a gunship.
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

didnt pay attention to that place its structure so thats why i didnt saw what it was lol.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

KON_Air wrote:
I'd hate say but it is not going anywhere untill you scrap that huge box, read more about Vis and lighting.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... pile_Times

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Lighting
After you've been there go here! And read about everything, study like a bible!

http://optimization.interlopers.net/

And if you want more examples and more detail.... see below.

http://hl.logout.fr/?p=optimisation Send this link through Google translator if your French is a little rusty.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Honestly I wouldn't worry about any advanced optimization until you're finished. As you work, add areaportals, occluders, and nodraw. But save hint brushes and fade distances until you are done. That is my personal opinion, although you should still read through everything fug and KON_Air posted.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Gjsdeath wrote: Can I place more then one light_env ?
I'm pretty sure if you add a second only the settings of the first one will be used.

The only instance of having two env_lights in your map is when you add a second one to your 3d-sky box.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

You can use multiple env_lights by using a special command in vrad when compiling. I don't know what it is though.
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

Valve Wiki wrote:A 3D Skybox does not require an extra light_environment placement. If multiple light_environment entities are placed, Vrad uses the keyvalues from the first placed light_environment to calculate the lighting.
Image Image Image

Excuse me for being rude. I'm usually drunk while posting.