Zombie Survival (oc_survival)

Show off work in progress maps.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Zombie Survival (oc_survival)

Post by Gary »

Hunt for supplies during the day and fight off zombies during the day.

Visit the Wiki page below for information.
http://wiki.obsidianconflict.net/?title ... e_Survival

--------------------------------------------------
Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated.
Last edited by Gary on Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:36 am, edited 8 times in total.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Hunt for food is good, I'd suggest crows, seaguls and pigeons go on the menu.

Growing food maybe not, though growing some medicines (if you really have to have a growing production thing).

Water ok, I can live with but make it a polluted/cleansing system.

Basically my ideas just trying to bring you away from the whole harvest thing but still keep the rts side of things.

But yes sounds very good.

I'm happy that you've decided to give to the community something and let me be the first to say:

:worthlesswithoutpics:

I'll be waiting for more.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

The food growing was mainly to keep the players doing something, I don't want people doing nothing and getting bored :wink:

Also, these zombies only attack at night and most buildings you can go in(small town), are dark inside, so there are zombies in them.

Right now I am having trouble making the buildings, also, I can't seem to find any good trees to make a dense forest... I tried to make a dense forest with tons of small stuff, when I get to close, it lags the game bad... no LODs being used at that range...

Also, there are no pictures to post at the moment, once I finish the Inn, I'll post a picture of it.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Sounds good, I think there is no need to grow food, you can spend time scavenging/hunting for food etc. do other jobs like finding fuel canisters for gens, sorting the water supplies out. I'd have a daily amount of each spawn each day a bit like the mushrooms in harvest but fuel, food and birds.

As for the trees, only way to have thick as you want is use low poly tree 'cards' in the distance and high poly in the main areas. then add a fog to cull everything at a certain range, or just design the forest so hint brushes or occulders can do the culling.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
JerC
Donator
Donator

Post by JerC »

When you get meat from bullsquid,make it be their gib.
Please don't take my posts before 2013 too seriously. It will be better for both you and I :c
Supahchikin
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Supahchikin »

-=jerC=- wrote:When you get meat from bullsquid,make it be their gib.
YAY BURRITOS!
JerC
Donator
Donator

Post by JerC »

[YaS]Cyan wrote:
YAY BURRITOS!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Please don't take my posts before 2013 too seriously. It will be better for both you and I :c
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Use left4dead trees for the forest and tree cards for the borders like fug said. Since this is a zombie map, make the fog plane extremely close. You shouldn't be able to see a zombie 50 yds in front of you. If you have left4dead, the first level in Blood Harvest would be a very good guide for you to check out.

I'm interested to see how you implement the day/night system.

Oh and don't forget a bunch of Ravenholm style traps.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

shiftey wrote:Use left4dead trees for the forest and tree cards for the borders like fug said.
I don't have L4D :/

shiftey wrote:Since this is a zombie map, make the fog plane extremely close. You shouldn't be able to see a zombie 50 yds in front of you.
Well, I think you only see zombies attack at night, giving the player time to do there tasks during the day, though if you go into a dark area, like a house or building, there might be zombies in there.

shiftey wrote: If you have left4dead, the first level in Blood Harvest would be a very good guide for you to check out.
Wish I could, but as I said before, no L4D :/

shiftey wrote: I'm interested to see how you implement the day/night system.
Can I rig the env lights to one name and have a script set there brightness or color(for dawn)?

shiftey wrote: Oh and don't forget a bunch of Ravenholm style traps.
What kind of zombie map would it be without them
Okay, I don't plan on modeling anything I don't have too. :( :wink:
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I'll send you all of the left4dead trees if you want. There aren't many. They would definitely improve any forested areas in your map.

Oh and you can youtube Blood Harvest to see what it looks like.
KON_Air
prop_static
prop_static

Post by KON_Air »

Can I rig the env lights to one name and have a script set there brightness or color(for dawn)?

In theory you can have enviroment light matching to night and a couple of extreme Constant lights to brighten up to daylight. Though you will definately suffer "Too many light styles" if you try to use dynamic lights in open spaces. Also Episode 2 Tress and cardboxes would be fine. Imho ripping L4D trees is a little extreme.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Ah, I see and thanks for the offer shiftey, I might just do that, as long as I don't get in trouble for it...

Also, I would hate to have people crying about missing textures or models, could I compile all the used content in the map file?
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Absolutely. The tree models wouldn't take up too much space since there are very few. PM me if you decide you want them. I seriously doubt you'd get in trouble for using them. Look at all the illegal model transfers going on with gmod...

And I believe you could use the technique that KON_air suggested. But its worth a try to see if the light_env can be turned off/on.
KON_Air
prop_static
prop_static

Post by KON_Air »

light_environment does not accept any inputs
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

KON_Air wrote:light_environment does not accept any inputs

Yeah, I just looked :/

I would hate to, but maybe I'll just dim the screen, then when it gets to a certain amount, it stops and I can just kill/turn off the env lights.

So it looks like it got dark.

Though, I would dislike doing it that way, I wanted the battles at night to last all the way to day... have to think of a new way... any one have any ideas?