oc_c-facility [Development stopped]

Show off work in progress maps.
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

oc_c-facility [Development stopped]

Post by Andrax17 »

Took the info awaaaay because it was really outdated.

Im not planning on releasing this map for months, because even tho this is my first map, i want it to be as perfect as it can be
the name of the map is still not final :P so c-facility is currently only temporary name

Nothing in the story/setting is final yet, the story and setting during the map has changed several times and im still not quite sure about it, but the theme is always the same, the facility belongs to someone and players always has the same mission
Last edited by Andrax17 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Its a start!

I'm always pleased to see more people mapping for oc.

I'm glad your taking your time with your first map (first map eva?)
I made my first map for obsidian and I took the time, whilst not graphically impressive brush work wise, I took the time to go through lots of tutorials to build the map. And make sure it was half decent.

Also oc_broken_escape was W0rf0x's first real released map. And I think its a good example of if worked on carefully, a first map can be a worthy release.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

oc_c-fortress (name change, again)

Post by Andrax17 »

dont have much to say about the map progress yet, but im just posting some of the pics i took today.

<The first spawn of the map>

<Antlions>

<Antlion Guard(s) (there is supposed to be two but for some reason, the other one is always invisible>

<Mining Facility>

<Mining Facility control room>

<Battlefield>

<Helicopter attack>

<rpg>
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

Looks fun, just couple things:

1. A lot of repeating textures for both ceilings, floors and walls.
2. Stretched textures in the last picture don't look very nice
:nyoron:
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Andrax17 »

Ny wrote:Looks fun, just couple things:

1. A lot of repeating textures for both ceilings, floors and walls.
2. Stretched textures in the last picture don't look very nice
yeah i know, most of the textures will probably change at some point, the map is still far away from finished :D
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

What Ny said, also the interior looks a little empty. Use more props, inside also decals and overlays to help break the textures up. Also func_detailed brush work helps to make interiors not so square and hollow, use for more architecture, supports for the walkways etc (Though also models can help).

To avoid strectching of textures on displacements, work with the paint geometry and change the axis and you should be able to push the texture back with out affecting the shape of the disp. Also with a small/low distances and radius aswell as a low #brush to push those pointy edges back in.

Fine tuning disp's can make them look amazing.

Smoothing and then resewing is a good technique. Also painting geo with a high brush# low distance but large radius will avoid less pointy displacements in the first place.

I'm looking forward to it, g'luck!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

New screenshots got me interested.
killkill85
Fatal Error (IQ = -10)
Fatal Error (IQ = -10)

Post by killkill85 »

The pictures in the OP are all broken,but the others aren't.Love the spotlight on the helicopter,it adds to the feeling well.
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Andrax17 »

all of the pics works for me, but you dont miss much of not seeing the first pics :P
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Andrax17 »

Small update.
Ive been doing the map pretty slowly, 90% just thinking about what to do, I removed the backstory and other info from first post because the setting of the map and story has changed a lot.

Also the outside part of the map (the one with the helicopter and stuff) is taken out of the "main" map and placed to another(which is going to be the first part of this map). So this map will have atleast two parts.

Some picutres (Its still in early stage, also dont comment about the lights and how bad they are :> the lights are just placed in a way that i dont need fullbright while playing the map)
Most of the textures are also temporary.

Accidentally pressing video key is annoying :D
The fancy cooling tanks..there isnt really any lightning in this room yet.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Last shot looks interesting, looking forward to this.
Miss Eleksin
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by Miss Eleksin »

Hmmm, I really should get into mapping. Seeing all these progress pictures is motivating me, but I guess I lack the drive to really do it. You are doing really nice so far. Can't wait to see more of this.
Image Image Image <--- Click them for music :3
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Good so far, but a few things:

Some of those textures seem improper for their use, such as the wall texture in this picture.

Your lighting needs some work, but for the indoor areas, try adding a logical light source, right now you just have a light entity thrown in. Try using light_spot as most lights are not omnidirectional. Don't forget to place a light prop so the light looks like it is coming from something and make sure to use env_sprites on lights as well. This should be useful to you, I recommend reading the entire thing.

To fix the displacement texture stretching, make sure the verts are closer together and also try raising the power to something higher.
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Andrax17 »

Andrax17 wrote:...also dont comment about the lights and how bad they are :> the lights are just placed in a way that i dont need fullbright while playing the map)
Most of the textures are also temporary.
:P so yeah, i know about that lol, the textures arent final in 90% of the area's, but you know, i cant really play with nodraw textures either :P so i have to use something.
Texturing is the last thing i do on the map.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Ah, sorry, I've been in a hurry posting lately. Still, I hope my pointers still help.

I really map improperly, when I do one area of a map, I also do the lighting and texture at the same time. Once that area looks awesome, I move on to the next one. For some reason it has to look good or I stop working on it all together, pretty bad, but at least that means my maps should at least look good.