oc_fort_refuge - An Epic Battle Versus the Combine (Update2)

Show off work in progress maps.
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Suppercut wrote:
TESLA-X4 wrote: OnMapSpawn <timer>:SetTimerLabel:<label>:50:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:StartTimer:10:50:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:SetTimerLabel:<label>:51:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:StartTimer:9:51:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:SetTimerLabel:<label>:52:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:StartTimer:8:52:-1
(all the way until zero)
Hope this helps.
Why would you do that? Works fine without doing that.
He probably did that so it would update the timer so that late joiners would see the correct message instead of the default
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

Suppercut wrote:Third of all, them damn Combine won't move very far from their spawn. They move out to the exit of the outpost thingie to fire at the people at the front door but they refuse to move any farther. I use npc_template_makers to spawn them, then I put an npc_enemyfinder on their squad (using squad names, basically like how the tutorial said) yet they still won't move very far.
You did place nodes right? Assuming they have a long way to walk, npcs won't move very far without a node path to follow.

Also make sure that the npc_enemyfinder is looking around properly. For instance you have to set a keyvalue to make it look in all directions, as well as things like max view distance and LOS blocking you need to change.
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

Tysn wrote:
Suppercut wrote:Third of all, them damn Combine won't move very far from their spawn. They move out to the exit of the outpost thingie to fire at the people at the front door but they refuse to move any farther. I use npc_template_makers to spawn them, then I put an npc_enemyfinder on their squad (using squad names, basically like how the tutorial said) yet they still won't move very far.
You did place nodes right? Assuming they have a long way to walk, npcs won't move very far without a node path to follow.

Also make sure that the npc_enemyfinder is looking around properly. For instance you have to set a keyvalue to make it look in all directions, as well as things like max view distance and LOS blocking you need to change.
Yes, did both of those.
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

Going to need more information then, post some hammer screenshots of where the combine are moving through (or a .vmf if you're willing). I know combine are capable of moving long distances to engage enemies using the npc_enemyfinder setup, I've done it myself.
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

Ahhh, when I get the time, I'll PM a link to the VMF. Currently I was working on some other map. Oc_roundarena I think. I'm making a thread for ity later. Pretty late atm.
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Axel_m3sh wrote:
Suppercut wrote:
TESLA-X4 wrote:OnMapSpawn <timer>:SetTimerLabel:<label>:50:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:StartTimer:10:50:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:SetTimerLabel:<label>:51:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:StartTimer:9:51:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:SetTimerLabel:<label>:52:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:StartTimer:8:52:-1
(all the way until zero)
Hope this helps.
Why would you do that? Works fine without doing that.
He probably did that so it would update the timer so that late joiners would see the correct message instead of the default
Yeah, Axel's right about that. If you try it out on a dedicated server (which always starts way before any clients do) without the workaround, you'll most likely not be able to see the countdown, since you're triggering it with a logic_auto.
It also has a bonus of making the countdown text pulse whenever an update is sent, so for the last ten seconds, it would pulse on every second.
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Hmmm, sounds trippy, if you add sounds to that you could probably recreate a C4 timer like in CS:S
killkill85
Fatal Error (IQ = -10)
Fatal Error (IQ = -10)

Post by killkill85 »

Looks pretty cool,this would be a good addition to OC's list of defense maps.I'm a bit of a sucker for them.'Hired Guns system" doesn't make my hype for it any lower,too.
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

I never really did explain the Hired Guns system, did I?

My main idea for it is at the spawnpoint shop, you can buy various things like turrets and barrels. You can also hire a Rebel with a weapon of your choice (cost depends on weapon) to defend the fort for one minute or until he dies. Although I'm trying to make it so that he has upkeep (takes money every 60 secs), but then I can't make multiple Hired Guns with the same weapon. Is it possible to loop a logic_relay if you told it to trigger itself?

The total map time, by the way, will be around 5-10 minutes.
killkill85 wrote:Looks pretty cool,this would be a good addition to OC's list of defense maps.I'm a bit of a sucker for them.
Same here. I liked oc_antlion_attack, oc_starship troopers, and that one part of oc_waking_dead (I think) where you hold off at that fort waiting for the rescue chopper. I'm a fan of those survival and defense maps.
Axel_m3sh wrote:Hmmm, sounds trippy, if you add sounds to that you could probably recreate a C4 timer like in CS:S
Of course, I can always make them beep like the door charges the Combine used in HL2.
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

Just took a look at the .vmf, the problem is indeed with nodes. Or rather not enough of them. You only really had nodes at a few specific spots, whereas they really need to be scattered widely around to make the most out of the npcs pathfinding.

For example, here is how many nodes I used in one of the arenas in cardwar:
Note that as many nodes as I used there isn't totally needed, maybe around 3/5ths of that amount. But either way a wide spread-out network is needed.

Also, you can use the console command ai_show_connect to show the connections between all of your nodes. It also shows bad connections, as you can see here the node connection between the combine spawn and the rebels is broken (it's a red line, a little hard to see):

Also, remember that nodes should be placed above the ground on angled surfaces like ramps and displacements, as nodes partially stuck in the ground will be invalid (I saw a few on one of the ramps in the map)

Btw, I liked the little cutscene at the beginning. :P
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

You can place nodes above the ground they will drop to the nearest floor brush below them.

So if you put one at 64 height (as long as you dont have a cieling at that height) you can copy pasta till your heart is content, knowing that they'll drop to the relevant floor height below, therefore not getting stuck in displacments etc.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

Ah, thank you so much, I'll get to setting that up as soon as possible.

At least now I see the problem (kinda) with that first two nodes in the Combine spawnpoint.

NODESPAM AWAI (jk)
Tysn wrote:Btw, I liked the little cutscene at the beginning. :P
You like it too? Aw, thanks.

Actually, now that I realize it, there was supposed to be music in the beginning, but I forgot to send it. If you want it...
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

Well, I placed a crapload of nodes (I also found out that the nodes fit perfectly on the steps) while trying my best to keep them organized, then I fixed that problem with the bad node connection leading out the Combine spawnpoint (I placed a NEW node right outside the door so the inside node connected to that first) and it worked! They ran out of the little spawnpoint fine, and they also came out of the teleporter (the one popping up out the ground after around 20-30 seconds into the battle, which is being bumped to a minute or two ahead) mostly fine, so I decided I would try to node that ramp and re-enable a spawnpoint there, and boom, it was working as well! So I think I can do away with that awkward building near the door, seeing as I just got the Combine to come out of the outpost they were meant to come out of. I think all I need to do next is to set up more buyable objects, remove the NPC Clip near the back door, put the citizens back into the shed seen in the first post, add some cover for the Combine (barriers, rubble, etc.), change the names of the modify and briefing files (I changed the map name, but I forgot to change those accordingly) and then I should be done.

I'll release it side-by-side with oc_arenafest_2010, another WIP of mine.
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

Almost done, I'm putting up pics in a sec.

The pictures are still sub-recent though. In the latest build not shown in the pictures, I removed the front spawnpoint, moved the refugees, and reduced the number of starter Rebels. There were just way too many in the build in the screenshots. Now there are three; the number I started out with. I also remade the outpost, it looks a bit less ugly now but it's a little too big, and I might reduce it so the back of it ramps down so it actually looks like what it's supposed to be: a tunnel out of the ground.
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

FACEPUNCH ALERT: YES, I AM HEADINJURYGAMES