oc_fort_refuge - An Epic Battle Versus the Combine (Update2)

Show off work in progress maps.
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

oc_fort_refuge - An Epic Battle Versus the Combine (Update2)

Post by Suppercut »

OC_FORT_REFUGE
Originally oc_laststand
oc_fort_refuge is a Last Stand-type game where the story is that you and a group of rebels had set up a small fort to help along refugees...until you realize you created it a few kilometers away from an underground Combine outpost and they're already wondering why a couple of humans are on the roof of an abandoned stone building. So you have to fight it out till you get the chance to destroy the outpost. It has this uber-awesome intro sequence with the Combine troop placing the bomb on the door and stuff, plus my own custom music.

Features:
  • A map briefing (Should be made mandatory, really)
  • Makes full use of scripted_sequence entities
  • Custom music (one track by me and another off Freeplay Music)
  • Custom merchant plus weapon vending machine (lol)
  • Hired Guns system
  • Lots more
The basic gameplay goes like this: You defend the three remaining refugees in a huge battle versus an underground Combine outpost. To destroy the outpost, a Rebel drives into the outpost, destroying it Kamikaze-style. If all three refugees die, it's game over.

This map is very close to completion!

Now for some long-awaited media:

Please note that a heavy amount of this is a Work In Progress. I know the Combine outpost looks like shit at the moment.

The power of scripted_sequence entities is strong within me. :D
All-new bomb beeping sounds (no, not like the CSS bombs, these are the freaking Combine) plus MOAR GIBZ for the door.
You defend this shed of refugees. This is also where some items bought at the shop are transferred.
Note: There are less refugees in the real version.
Trying to make a spawn a la oc_starship_troopers.
This new spawn features a more rounded shape to the whole room plus healthkits and batteries as well as some ammo crates, which are featured somewhere in the fort as well.
Also notice the incredible detail I put in the shop, with the guns on the wall and crates. Looking inside reveals a few more weapons on crates. I basically put a LOT of detail in that one damn area.
HE BE RAPPELINZ
He's supposed to be an Elite. I changed it already; this is an old screenshot.
The overlooks. It's basically like a big drained canal, or sewer type thing.

Hired Gun System:
Basically, you can rent a Rebel with a certain gun for a minute (or until he dies). You can only rent one Rebel with each gun (Choices are shotgun, SMG1 and AR2). The map starts out with three Rebels already near the door who don't expire. And don't worry about keeping track of Hired Guns; you'll receive warnings when they start to expire.

On a side-note, this map will release side-by-side with oc_arenafest_2010 (no media on that yet), an even more last-stand-y, oc_stadium-minus-the-griefing, slug-it-out-till-the-end fragfest of round after round of fighting Combine, HECU, Antlions, Zombies, and that damn Announcer who thinks his constant puns and jokes are funny.
Last edited by Suppercut on Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:40 am, edited 8 times in total.
JerC
Donator
Donator

Post by JerC »

If you own CSS,this would be better using C4 instead of a slam.
Please don't take my posts before 2013 too seriously. It will be better for both you and I :c
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

I do, except it won't mount for me. Also, you expect the Combine to use some hacked-up C4? Plus notice their distance from it. The C4 would just be too unrealistic. The SLAM model is meant to be a sort of door charge. Plus, one of my next steps with that intro is to make the doors func_physboxes so they blow off their hinges realistically. The only things 'splodeying are the boards.

Also, it's just one tiny little detail, jeez!
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Me and W0rf0x would appreciate it if you changed the name of this map.
We are currently planning our own map we were calling "oc_laststand" as well.

It's a map that works kinda like Harvest and Diving, but a night you have to hold off against zombies. But that's another story.

Thing is, we would truly be grateful if you changed this map's name so that we may keep it.
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

Keychain wrote:Me and W0rf0x would appreciate it if you changed the name of this map.
We are currently planning our own map we were calling "oc_laststand" as well.

It's a map that works kinda like Harvest and Diving, but a night you have to hold off against zombies. But that's another story.

Thing is, we would truly be grateful if you changed this map's name so that we may keep it.
No problem... cept I can't think of a good name now. Maybe, say, oc_fort_refuge?

Yeah, that's good for now.

Although, tbh, that sounds nothing like a "last stand" map. In fact, it seems pretty misleading to me. No offense.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

"OnTrigger" "counter_boom,SetTimerLabel, Its gonna blow!,0,-1"
"OnTrigger" "counter_boom,StartTimer,60,0,-1"

Its gonna blow is the message displayed, it needs to be typed in the additional parameters.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

That's what I do though. Unless you're saying you have to set the label DIRECTLY BEFORE starting it.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

That too! Though I think theycan be done at the same time.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

No, I mean I have a logic_auto apply the labels to them on Map Spawn, then later they are run at their appropriate time (after a Combine dies, etc etc)
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Keychain wrote:[...]
[...].
O_o

Well... I suppose I was taking too long with Zombie Survival.
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

Anyone got any suggestions? OTHER THAN SOME C4.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Suppercut wrote:No, I mean I have a logic_auto apply the labels to them on Map Spawn, then later they are run at their appropriate time (after a Combine dies, etc etc)
I'm not sure why you'd set multiple timer labels on map spawn, and then start them at later times.

Seeing as you can only have one on screen (atleast I think you can only have one) It would be better to just set them and start them at the same time when you want them (one at a time).

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

I was under the impression that they had outputs, so I had multiple.

Of course, I'm fixing that now to see if it works.
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

The way the countdown works is that when the entity is triggered, a usermessage is sent to a client only once for each event (one when you set the timer, and once when you start it). This means that if you spawn late, your client never gets that message, which 'breaks' it, since the countdown is almost entirely client-side, so if a client misses the message to set the label, it stays with the last label that was set ('Countdown' if none). As a workaround, you could try adding more delayed outputs (with compensated times, of course - there's no point in having a timer that is inaccurate) for the sake of late joiners.

For example:
(in AddOutput format, <output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>)
OnMapSpawn <timer>:SetTimerLabel:<label>:0:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:StartTimer:60:0:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:SetTimerLabel:<label>:10:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:StartTimer:50:10:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:SetTimerLabel:<label>:50:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:StartTimer:10:50:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:SetTimerLabel:<label>:51:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:StartTimer:9:51:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:SetTimerLabel:<label>:52:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:StartTimer:8:52:-1
(all the way until zero)

It's not a very efficient solution (not even sure if I can call it one), but at least it ensures that all players can see the countdown.

Hope this helps.
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

I already fixed the timer. Thanks anyway.

Right now there's huge glitches in it all. First of all, the game_text entities don't work. Second of all, when any of the refugees you're supposed to protect die, the game crashes. (Which may have to do with the waypoints being parented to them) Third of all, them damn Combine won't move very far from their spawn. They move out to the exit of the outpost thingie to fire at the people at the front door but they refuse to move any farther. I use npc_template_makers to spawn them, then I put an npc_enemyfinder on their squad (using squad names, basically like how the tutorial said) yet they still won't move very far.

I'm taking a break from it anyways to start another map. One I already had the design for a while back.
TESLA-X4 wrote: OnMapSpawn <timer>:SetTimerLabel:<label>:50:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:StartTimer:10:50:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:SetTimerLabel:<label>:51:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:StartTimer:9:51:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:SetTimerLabel:<label>:52:-1
OnMapSpawn <timer>:StartTimer:8:52:-1
(all the way until zero)
Hope this helps.
Why would you do that? Works fine without doing that.