[Tutorial] How to make rappeling combine.

Archived Source Engine and Obsidian Tutorials.
Fear Factory
prop_static
prop_static

[Tutorial] How to make rappeling combine.

Post by Fear Factory »

Hello, sure some of you have seen me around the forum and I thought I could help people like larz make quality maps that dont look like complete birdshit. So... im going to explain how to make rappelling combine soldiers like in oc_bunker and my map oc_cave.

1. Lets start by making a basic room with a hole in the roof or something for the combine to come from.
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/8937/basicmapoz8.png

2. Make an npc_combine_s anywhere in the map. Make sure the flag "Template NPC" is checked and you have "Waiting To Rappel?" set to yes. Name it "rappeler1".

3. Place an npc_template_maker where you want your soldier to spawn at. Name it rappeler1maker and have "Name of Template NPC" rappeler1.
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/202/ ... kersz4.png

4. Now its time to make them rappel. Make a box with the trigger texture in tools where you want them to cross in order to make the combine rappel. Do ctrl+t and select trigger_once with a name of Trigger1.
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5504/triggeran2.png

4. Now go to the outputs tab and add in all this.
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/4724/outputs1tz0.png

5. We have them spawn now when they pass that trigger but they wont rappel?! Add this to the npc_template_maker's outputs.
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/6460/outputs2vr7.png

Compile and your done :] Hope this helped some of the newer mappers.
Power-Mad
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Power-Mad »

Ehhh. It's informative but rappeling combine is something I didn't even need a tutorial for.
Fear Factory
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Fear Factory »

Power-Mad wrote:Ehhh. It's informative but rappeling combine is something I didn't even need a tutorial for.
Some people are smarter than others at mapping, I didnt either but I saw a bunch on interlopers and halfwit-2 so I thought I would make my own for oc.
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

Fear Factory wrote:
Power-Mad wrote:Ehhh. It's informative but rappeling combine is something I didn't even need a tutorial for.
Some people are smarter than others at mapping, I didnt either but I saw a bunch on interlopers and halfwit-2 so I thought I would make my own for oc.
and now all the people who reply with "thanks" will be seen as noobs :twisted:
Steve
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Steve »

destu
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by destu »

I'm sure this will help alot some new mappers, cheers!
Fear Factory
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Fear Factory »

Thanks guys, first tutorial so its not perfect but future ones will be :)
unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

If anyone makes a really nice, informative tutorial that any old spastic can understand and implement (a la Vasili) then I will trim out all the comments, lock the thread and get Skidz to sticky it.
I am the Devils Advocate
Fear Factory
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Fear Factory »

unconnected wrote:If anyone makes a really nice, informative tutorial that any old spastic can understand and implement (a la Vasili) then I will trim out all the comments, lock the thread and get Skidz to sticky it.
I might as well try to make a really nice one but about what?
unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

I've currently got a contract for writing installation documentation for UNIX based Content Management Systems at HMRC (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk).

My current assignment is to write documentation that is detailed and comprehensive, yet easy enough to understand that anyone can follow it and complete a very difficult technical install with a very limited amount of technical knowledge.

So yeah, I know what I'm talking about here.

So when I say a decent tutorial, I want step by step guides (down to the clicking of buttons and typing of text) and screen shots where applicable. Written so that if an fraking idiot (e.g. Vasili) read it, he'd be able to achieve the objective the guide was designed for.

I'll start one tomorrow with the objective of completely setting up the Source SDK for Obsidian Conflict - from opening steam and downloading the SDK to being ready to make your first OC map.
Fear Factory wrote:I might as well try to make a really nice one but about what?
Just remember there is a lot of (very good) tutorials else where on other HL2 websites, so to avoid needless duplication I'd imagine it would make more sense to make more OC specific tutorials, i.e. a npc_merchant guide or a grapple gun guide (obviously when they're released).

In the mean time I might try and collate a huge number of misc tutorials, or blatantly steal them and reformat them to be more readable and post them here.
I am the Devils Advocate
Fear Factory
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Fear Factory »

Thanks alot unconnected, I will do a very detailed tutorial on an obsidian feature.
Mustang
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Mustang »

This tutorial was so easy that I, who haven't opened Hammer in 3 years, understood it.
Hyperjag3 wrote:God damnit, I can't take anymore of that fag's shit, banned.
skidz wrote:Your account and IP are banned for life, goodbye.
Steve
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Steve »

WIN
Steve: Yo tengo tu madre en mi pantalones, lolzo
Fire_cube: my mom is actually in MY pants
Fire_cube: youshithead
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Thanks, Not all of us are experts and it takes time to write a tutorial, so much appreciated! I'm sure it saved me some time!
Fenrir
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Fenrir »

Why thank you
One of the few mysteries of hammer that had eluded has been solved. :thumbsupgabe:
I will spit right in your fraking face.
How does it taste? After the lips are sealed below your waist,
You will never frak again.