[Tutorial] Converting your HL 1 Coop map to HL2

Archived Source Engine and Obsidian Tutorials.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

[Tutorial] Converting your HL 1 Coop map to HL2

Post by skidz »

It is easy to load up your old Half-Life 1 map in hammer, and have it recompile for Half-Life 2. But not all entities will work as they once did. Version 1.4 will include a new FGD with more old entity placeholders such as multi_manager, but Ill throw up a download link if people want it early.

On that note, I would advise once you convert your old map, you give it a pass over and fix up all obsolete entities from the Half-Life 1 days. Ill update a list below of ents that have a replacement in HL2.

- First, for your map to show up, textured, you will want to extract the halflife materials folder from the half-life source gcf file. If you do not own Half-Life Source, then you will have to use a program called xwad.exe which will convert all textures from the Half-Life 1 wad to the source format.

- Open your map in Hammer, load your maps rmf file for best results.

- It will appear, and untextured.

- Now go File->Convert WAD to Vmt which will auto replace all textures in your map with one by the same name located in the halflife material folder.

- There, your map is converted and ready to compile!

Of course, the quality of a Half-Life 1 map is usually low, but at least now you have the map in front of you and easy to see, you can replace textures and improve the architecture. Or you could re-release it once you have fixed up all the entities as a map requiring Half-Life source. Retro is still fun. :)

Do not expect your old map to just work right off the bat. Depending on your map size, it might take you awhile to fix all broken entities. It is also best to use Valves new I/O system instead of the old multi_managers.

Texture Lights:
- They still work in Half-Life 2, all you will need to do is bring over the lights.rad file from the half-life source gcf file. Backup lights.rad already in the obsidian folder and place Half-Life sources lights.rad in its place. Compile the map and texture lighting will compile correctly.

Black doors and buttons fix:
- The FX Color is set to 0 0 0 which is black. Setting it back to 255 255 255 will fix the problem.

List of Half-Life 1 ents with a Half-Life 2 Replacement:

- env_sound replaced with env_soundscape
- multi_manager replaced with Valves I/O System
- func_train replaced with func_tracktrain
- trigger_relay replaced with logic_relay

Tutorial on converting HL1 Textures.
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... re_porting
Last edited by skidz on Sat May 05, 2007 1:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

As a side note, the compiler will notice vis errors it may not have noticed before when compiling for HL1. This is most likely caused by improper optimization since the source engine uses updated algorithms when compiling maps for HL2.
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Cool. Sadly I have no use for this since I have never mapped for hl1. :(
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

I LOVE YOU wait does this mean we can convert omg ans secretcity maps!!!!!!!!!
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

gtaiiilc wrote:I LOVE YOU wait does this mean we can convert omg ans secretcity maps!!!!!!!!!
If you have the .vmf files (or whatever they're called in HL1) there should be no problem. :o
[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

I never mapped to hl1, but i could imagine having say sven coop maps into OC XD
<Proud to be a gamer>

skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Oniyuri wrote:
gtaiiilc wrote:I LOVE YOU wait does this mean we can convert omg ans secretcity maps!!!!!!!!!
If you have the .vmf files (or whatever they're called in HL1) there should be no problem. :o
HL1 Hammer used map or rmf files. rmf files being the ones you would most likely want to use since map files can cause trouble when loading in hammer.
panth0ur
Polygon
Polygon

Post by panth0ur »

Someone could convert this with it?

http://www.obsidianconflict.com/forums/ ... 3816#23816

i mean if someone could download that map and convert it to obsidian that would be AWESOME :)
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

er you know that you need the .vmf of that map if you want to convert it? or like skidz said the .map/.rmf file without that you cant
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Neico wrote:er you know that you need the .vmf of that map if you want to convert it? or like skidz said the .map/.rmf file without that you cant
yes, and you cant just decompile a hl1 map and compile it again like you can do it with a hl2 map, you have to remake everything because the hl1 decompiler destroys it too much
Power-Mad
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Power-Mad »

panth0ur wrote:Someone could convert this with it?

http://www.obsidianconflict.com/forums/ ... 3816#23816

i mean if someone could download that map and convert it to obsidian that would be AWESOME :)
It doesn't look like too hard of a map to make noramlly as a matter of fact. Could probably easly be improved on and sourceified.