[Mapping Tutorial] The Coop Ressuplying Puzzle

Archived Source Engine and Obsidian Tutorials.
Gandorques Hikla
Entity Master
Entity Master

[Mapping Tutorial] The Coop Ressuplying Puzzle

Post by Gandorques Hikla »

Thats a old Coop Puzzle Idea I head for the Tim--Coop Mod about 1 Year ago (before TC went dead)

I remapped this puzzle, its easy to build, and funy to play.

First you need a Building (I prefer one with a wedged roof, you can see why!) thats high enough that no one on its top can grab something on the ground with his Gravity Gun.
Some Spawnpoints on the Ground on one side of it, with some Gravity Guns, Rocket Launchers and Rocket Ammo.

One essential Thing is the classic "Jump on the other Player to get into the ventilation Shaft" Puzzle. Make shure that the Ventilation shaft is 64 units above the Ground, so one player have to left behind, and be sure that no Physic objects are around wich can be used to jump into the shaft!

Put whatever you want into the Building (I just did a room with a ladder to the roof) that bring the players up the roof at last.

Now there have to be a enemy which can only be killed with Explosives, a Strider, a Helicopter or a Gunship. Make sure that the Player who left behind on the spawn area isnt able to see or attack this enemy!

Now the player who left behind have to throw the RPG Missiles up on the Roof to help the others to beat the Strider, if you have a wedged roof like I did, the Rockets roll back down, so you cant just throw them up, you have to throw them up again if they fall down.

If the strider is beaten maybe a Door or something can open so the player who left behind can stick to the team.

I hope this Tutorial inspired you for some Coop Puzzles. Implement it to your map if you want to!

Heres the Example map!
Last edited by Gandorques Hikla on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don´t feed the Graphic Whores!
tomgreen
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by tomgreen »

Yes but make the building glass who wants to sit below and send ammo up to not see whats going on thats fun coop? One guy left behind while the other gets the fun? Gota be a bit more creative with the sharing.
Gandorques Hikla
Entity Master
Entity Master

The player who left behind could get attacked while he have to ressuply the others with rockets.
And this way the players have to chat to the others to tell them whats going on.
tomgreen
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by tomgreen »

Ye but coop doesn't always hafta leave somone do do something different then the other. It could just be an overwhelming force more than 1 can face alone.
Gandorques Hikla
Entity Master
Entity Master

Thats just an idea for a Coop Puzzle, the mappers can be creative on the base of this Idea. And JUST Overwhelming enemy forces on Coop maps are boring all the time, and in this puzzle you have to use your creative and destructive Skills at the same time.

Even Original HL² (especially Episode 1) have some fights wich could only be beaten well with some tactics and not just shooting (for example Ravenholm, The Streetfights and the most levels of Episode 1)
tomgreen
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by tomgreen »

Well new npcs also bring new fun :) Always and more creative enviroments that can interact with the player like canon.