Someone should port...

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
tundra_cool
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Someone should port...

Post by tundra_cool »

If anyone who's comfortable with Hammer wants to do some mapping for OC but doesn't really have any ideas or all of that design initiative, I would totally support you if you convert/hack my mod Provenance to OC. I would love to play it co-op online, tbh. Really, I would do it myself but I'm going through some personal IRL stuff at the moment.

I've released the .vmf sources over at my website. You can take a look at them in Hammer but you'll need the assets from the actual mod (just search ModDB for Provenance).

For those who haven't seen it, it's a mod where you wander around a piece of Black Mesa for a while. Would be a blast multiplayer. You'll need to change some things like the end battle in the tram to something more co-opy, though.

Again, I'd be fully supportive and help anyone trying.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

:o

I got a few projects on going but I would certainly take a look. If someone else feels up for the challenege please let me know if you decide to start work on it.

Thanks for posting, its a nice gift for oc to have.

And the modb pictures look nice I'll d/l and play the mod try get a feel for how it plays out.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I downloaded the mod and the files. I'll play through the mod possibly later when I get home from class.

If it's good (looks good from the screenshots), I'll make it my next project. Actually this would be a great thing to collaborate for. I'm talking to you fug!

Any particular way I should name the maps? Since you want them to be recompiled with full support for Obsidian Conflict, I was thinking of renaming them oc_provenance_01, 02, 03, etc. Otherwise somebody might confuse them for the original singleplayer maps.

Also: Do you know if this mod will work with the OC dlls and OC fgd or if some code/entities need to be changed?
Last edited by shiftey on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tundra_cool
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by tundra_cool »

shiftey wrote:...I was thinking of renaming them oc_provenance_01, 02, 03, etc. Otherwise somebody might confuse them for the original singleplayer maps.
Sounds good. :thumbup:

Keep in mind that you'll have to be clever with the ending bit where one player fights off a Strider following a tram car. I don't know much about LUA in OC but if you can make the Strider take damage from players, it may be reproducible. Otherwise, you have the option to create a totally new fight scenerio and ending.

The actual mod is only 20 minutes (+/-) in length so definitely feel free to beef some areas up.
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

Actually there's no LUA in OC yet. But you can make a strider take damage from bullets in the strider entity's settings.
Image Image Image

Excuse me for being rude. I'm usually drunk while posting.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Hmm. It keeps crashing whenever I get to the part where I'm in the vent and I see the Human Grunts for the first time. As soon as I kill one and start shooting his SMG I crash.

Well I got through it. I thought it was very good, although short. It seems like it might be very easy to port it to OC.
tundra_cool
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by tundra_cool »

shiftey wrote:Hmm. It keeps crashing whenever I get to the part where I'm in the vent and I see the Human Grunts for the first time. As soon as I kill one and start shooting his SMG I crash.
Yeah. Sorry about that but there's nothing I can do without a real programmers help. What are you computer's specs? It possibly doesn't like particles. Anyway, you could just edit the map yourself and remove the grunts if you'd like. ;)
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

oh, oh, its all happening to fast, I'm missing out on the action.

I've downloaded the mod, will have a play through now (seeing as I need a break from mapping). And ya, Shiftey if I can help, I'd love to be involved.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

I'd like to help, too.

I just downloaded the mod and will play trough it later.
Image Image Image

fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Well, holy shit soldier, you got your self a fine mod thar!

I just crashed when the music starts after I pass the first strider, but my system suffers when .mp3 load in game.

Favourite bits so far....

Combine parts
Grunt area (unforseen quenches: I lol'd, also a photo gave me a lil smile, it was sooo darn cute)!

I'm really loving this gotta get back and finish this now!

But before I go from what I've seen so far the tricky part is the viewcontrol sections, and perhaps the odd spawn area needs sorting (vent in particular, though room behind could serve) for forward spawns etc. And the combine sections.

Ps. You really did quite a top notch job, may I ask how long roughly it took you? It looks like there was a lot of work involved.

Right now to finish playing :) (lol the excitement). Anyone with their doubts about this fine peice of work, fear not, download it!

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Finished.

Pretty epic.

Yeah, the view control scenes will be the hardest part (three or four difficult ones in particular. Though with access to the vmf's none of it is impossible and I dont think much of how you put the experience together would have to differ from how you've implemented things. I think some can be done with players in the viewcontrol and some would have to be worked around or faked or player in podpose on spawn/teleport w/e.
I'm sure it all can be done.

As for the last part, I'm pleased and annoyed (you got there first) to see the npcs you put in the pods next to me, I started to make a map with excatly the same concept but mine dosent look half as good as how you have it.

GJ.

I'll get all the vmfs and what not tonight and perhaps have a spin around in hammer. Shiftey, Blues you both got me in steam friends and you can post here I guess or PM or just let me know what parts your working on I'll try let you guys know what I can help with.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

"entdata 743976/393216 (189.2%) VERY FULL!"
:lolcry:

Boundry pushing indeed.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

Crashed while that ecape train thing started moving and the door opened. Where you first meet the combine.

Edit: Crashed again while fighting the strider. :lol:

Edit2: Okay, here are some suggestions -

1. There are some z-fighting issues which we should fix whilst porting it. I took screenshots and might upload them later.
2. Looking back at the door you pass after that locked ladder part where you have to remove the lock with the crossbar there's something not matching correctly (brush is missing about half a unit) so you can see a white gap when the areaportal is closed.

Else: What fug said. I'm confident that we might be able to convert it over to OC.
Image Image Image

fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I crashed twice at the strider part, once just past the strider and the second time was I think when I was being chased by it, both times I crashed I was shooting mounted gun. I have a sneaky feeling though that I was being shot at or about to by that troublesome strider cannon.:)

Still, amazing mod!

Would like to port it over very much so.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Tundra_Cool?

I remember you!