Obsidian Conflict Mapping Guide and Prefabs [new]

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

ruh-roh, they're featured quite prominently in a section of oc_wildfire. :lol: Though they're not like the wheel-levers puzzle in oc_stitches that require exact timing. Normally there's someone around with a low enough ping that you can badger into operating it as well.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

hehe, yeah I'm the brunt of jokes on stitches, I'm no-longer allowed to operate anything ping intensive. Also I've errr had people shouting at me on courier to open the darn gate, thing is I used to be damn good at the puzzles till I changed to mobile broadband. And don't ask about breakout, I try to be a good co-op and set off the mines and place nice barrels for others to jump up operate the gate, I'm trying to find some comfort in my 'supporting role'.

Don't get me wrong I think the Valves add a nice touch to maps, buttons seem like just 'touch/tag' pads at time, you can hit and run. Stitches was a quite impressive use of the Valve.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

I just added a tutorial on how to make fug's nemesis-I mean momentaries. :P It covers and provides prefabs on all the basic types, raising platforms, "bridge" plaforms, and doors. However it doesn't really go into all of the different ways to combine momentaries with other gameplay pieces as those would be way to many to list. Hopefully this with the two-button door tutorial we can see more teamwork puzzles in maps.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

LOL rage!!! J/K.

Your objective entities template, is that something similar to what you had as the final score for Manor? I might take a peak (I'm not sure if I want to use or not but I've been curious as too how much entities and mathcounters etc goes into getting it up and running).

Oh and love the new waypoint sprites! I've got some sprites I'll release aswell.

Also have you guys considered adding these tutorials/templates to Obsidian's Sdk files?

I'll get round to looking ats ome of the other tutorials later, the npc one looks good, I've never used npc_enemy_finders before.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

The endgame scoreboard in manor uses mostly the same system for displaying the final score, but the actual way of accumulating the score is a lot different and somewhat clunky to make. It uses a math_counter for the actual values to be added to throughout the map, and then at the end it transfers it to a set of logic_relays (the exact number being the max score divided by 16) each of which then fires an output based upon the exact value of the score. This of course means that for every single value, you have to have a different line of text to output. So if you plan on the players being able to score a value in the 100's you're going to be copying-pasting-modifying text outputs for a long time. :P

Although one possible exception is that recently neico made a change to either game_text or game_text_quick for a cash-holding box that allows it to accept math_counters. I haven't used it yet but it may provide an easier way to do it.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I tried using the game_texts counter features, no joy.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
TMlord95
Vertex
Vertex

Post by TMlord95 »

Hey, I was wondering if there was a way to shoot a prop, make it disapear, then give/remove points from the player?
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

TMlord95 wrote:Hey, I was wondering if there was a way to shoot a prop, make it disapear, then give/remove points from the player?
Output to a game_score OnDamaged from the prop and also Kill !self.

game_score's are complicated though. You'll have to explain what exactly is happening if I can tell you how to make the score apply to the right person/team.
TMlord95
Vertex
Vertex

Post by TMlord95 »

shiftey wrote: Output to a game_score OnDamaged from the prop and also Kill !self.

game_score's are complicated though. You'll have to explain what exactly is happening if I can tell you how to make the score apply to the right person/team.

A person shoots a prop (In this case, a static headcrab or gnome) that is moving left and right, like a shooting gallery. When shot, it gives/takes points and disappears, or possibly resets to the staring position. So I would have a prop that moved on a set path, and when shot, disappears and gives the player (Not the team, only the player) points.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

TMlord95 wrote:
shiftey wrote: Output to a game_score OnDamaged from the prop and also Kill !self.

A person shoots a prop (In this case, a static headcrab or gnome) that is moving left and right, like a shooting gallery. When shot, it gives/takes points and disappears, or possibly resets to the staring position. So I would have a prop that moved on a set path, and when shot, disappears and gives the player (Not the team, only the player) points.
Assuming you are using a prop_dynamic parented to a moving brush, you have the option to use the OnBreak output, which will return the !activator as the person who broke it. Your prop will need to have a set health though.

As far as making it disappear: Output OnBreak !self kill
This will make the object disappear when it "breaks". Note that breaking means the prop has ran out of health. It may not physically break or even disappear once broken like crates do.

This should clear up how the points and game_score work:
Tysn wrote:Cash Pickups

Useful in conjunction with merchants in map, these cash objects can be used to reward players points in a way without fighting npcs. This is done using a template containing prop_dynamics_overrides for the visible cash, an ambient_generic for the pickup sound, a game_score to give points, and a trigger_once to fire all of these entities and then removed them when finished.

Cash Pickups Example Map: http://raegquit.com/Tysn/Tutorials/pref ... e_cash.rar
This map is both a prefab and example, it will demonstrate and parts can be copied directly into your map
This particular prefab spawns cash piles which give 15 points when picked up. To use this prefab, simply copy the group of entities used in the point_template, and then place a copy of the env_entity_maker's named "Cash_15_Spawns". The logic_auto will then spawn instances of the cash at the start of the map.
TMlord95
Vertex
Vertex

Post by TMlord95 »

Will "1" work as a health?
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

TMlord95 wrote:Will "1" work as a health?
Yeah.
TMlord95
Vertex
Vertex

Post by TMlord95 »

Another thing- How do I make a weapon instantly respawn?
Secone
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Secone »

Make a weapon and then go to the Flags tab in its properties, there should be something like "Weapon Respawns" or similar, check that
Suppercut
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Suppercut »

Mind giving a bit of a cinematics tutorial? I'm making another one of those last standers where the intro has the Combine running to a door and blowing it open. Is there a specific entity other than a point_viewcontrol to use?