Just a quickie...Game_score

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Just a quickie...Game_score

Post by fug4life »

You can have multiple game_scores right? And set at different values (I named them differently).

I mean I used in my VS map for red and blue teams but I cant understand why it dosen't work right now. A logic relay is what I'm trying to trigger the second one on, you think I shouldn't use logic stuff to trigger those sort of entities?
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

Yes. It's likely that the way that they are being triggered that is the problem, since it has to be the player that is the clear !Activator for it to transfer the points to. I'm not sure how deep it goes but if you're sending the inputs through relays it may get lost when doing so.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Thnx, I'll have a play around.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Yeah, a trigger volume for clients seems to work.

Just to check Neico was looking at this entity any news about its ability to give score to all players, If I check 'TeamScore' and the map isnt set for teamplay, will all players recieve the score?

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Didn't wanna start new thread.

I'm making a VS King of the Hill map right now that rewards points over time. 100 points every minute that a team holds a spot. Now how the hell can I get this to work if I can't use a logic_timer to trigger the score?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

You should still be able to get a timer to work, I think as long as the player is triggering it all it should be fine.

On an easier note just use a trigger multiple and have the reset delay as your timer.

But really a timer should work, but you'll need the trigger too.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Well I was going to have a control console that the player must press a button to switch the point distribution. But it needs to be a logic_timer that sends the output. It doesn't seem to be working this way.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Add a trigger around the button so when the player touches the button, he is still standing in the trigger volume. And just have the button enable the trigger.

I still think trigger volumes are your best bet, so you can tell if a player leaves the area.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I'm not following you. What does the trigger do in this case?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

In a nut shell: The trigger applies the score. The timer enables the trigger and the trigger gets fired by the client thus giving the score.

Ok I'll try explain myself.

You wanted a console that when pressed sets of a logic timer and the timer gives the score.

Though you said you wanted the score to be given for every minute that the players are there.

The problem is how does the button know if the player is still there or not once pressed? Unless you want a player to hold the button continuously?
It sounds slightly flaw'd.

Only real king of the hills or capture points style games I've played are stuff like Perfect Dark (n64), BF1942, TF2 and err oh and Unreal Tornament.

And all of those relied on the player (or players) to be within a trigger volume or for the latter destroying the other teams core w/e.

The only other style with capture buttons is something like FrontlineForce (old hl1 mod) where you capture a button that takes 10-20 seconds to complete i.e hack a terminal.

I particualy like perfect dark style, the area that needed to be capture would be highlighted in green (Neutral) textures and would change blue or red once captured. Though whilst capturing i.e still in progress it takes a time limit to capture the highlighted textures would flicker on and off the colour of the team that was capturing in progress.

^ That for me is the best King O hill. If both teams were in the area then the capture progress would be paused and if the capturing team get killed then it reset and the new captures could start to capture.

And I think the king of the hill used to highlight areas at random to be captured. And there was a time limit in which you had to reach and capture before the random selection would kick in and choose a new area.

Anyhow.

If you want your button operated method (as I dont know much about your map) then you can certainly still have the button pressed and start your timer and apply the score.
On each fire of the timer just have it enable a trigger multi that applies the score at 0.00 then disable it at 0.01 of a second. Until next time it fires it'll do the same again.
As long as a player is in the volume it'll work.

Though if you wanted to experiment trigger_player_count_volumes (or w/e the entities are) could be used to give more points for having more of the players on the same team capturing at the same time.

I know I'm not very good at explaining, if your still stuck perhaps give me a day or two (vbusy at mo) I'll whip up some examples of different methods.

Oh and dont forget filters for teams (oc_vs_glory I think has filters for red blue and a game score for each if I remeber correctly).

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Here's some information about how the map works:

The map is a base defense map. The Combine team starts in the base and rebels at a location away from the base. If the rebels capture the base by hacking the main terminal in the center of the base, then the combine spawn at an area away from the base and must capture it again.

Every minute of controlling the base gives the controlling team 100 points. First team to 2500 points wins. I'm thinking hacking the terminal will take a good 20 seconds. Each player gets 1 life per round, so if they die they must wait until the base is either captured or every one of their teammates dies. If they all die then they respawn at the far away HQ, the defending team only gets to respawn after the base is captured by the enemy, to insure eventually the other team gets a chance to defend and earn points.

Some problems I'm imagining might pop up:
Team balancing. Does OC have a way to successfully autobalance the teams or should I make a hammer solution?
Also how do I enable manual team switching? I can't seem to find the console commands for when I'm testing.

Here are my brainstorming notes on the map also:
oc_holdthefort (teamplay)

Rebels must take a combine base on the coast. They must hold off the combine and prevent them from disabling thumpers. Otherwise the rebels will be up against combine and antlions.

1 life per round. Respanws in waves.

Starting positions: combine in fort preparing defense, rebels assaulting preparing for assault in small camp/house.

Once rebels take the base they get re-enforcements and get to prepare a defense. Combine begin in a large dropship and are transported to the outskirts of the base. Every minute of holding the fort gives 100 points. The first team to reach 2500 points wins. 12 players per team; max 8 real players the rest are npc. the teams will auto balance by filling in missing player spots with npcs if the server is not full. If the attacking team feels it is about to lose they can disable thumpers to send many antlions toward the base to distract the defending team while they respawn and regroup.

Rebels can use killpoints to buy additional weapons and supplies as well as advanced transportation and assault helicopters. Combine can use killpoints to call in Overwatch resources such as headcrab cannister bombardments, gunships, and manhacks. 5 minutes into the game the mortar becomes enabled (it has to warm up). Any team that controls the fort can activate the mortar and it will fire at assaulting targets.

If the assaulting team is eliminated, they all spawn back at their sanctuary and are given unlimited time to prepare for another assault. The defending team remains at the fort without re-enforcements.
If the defending team is eliminated, they all spawn back at their sanctuary and are given a minimum of 2.5 minutes to prepare for the assault. The assaulting team is allowed to re-enforce and prepare a defense. The minimum 2.5 minutes gives the new defenders time to organize and re-enforce while also giving them a hefty 250 points for capturing the base.

The entire base is wired with cameras. Monitors in the survalience room autoswitch to the last camera to see an intruder.

**Cool Idea: A high ammount of killpoints can be used to purchase Gordon Freeman as an advesary. Either side can hire Mr. Freeman, although the amount of points required to do so would only be possible if the team doesn't spend any of their points the whole game and gets 95% kills/life.

**Cool Idea: Map table in the base allows base defenders to direct bombardments and mortar fire.

**Cool Idea: Sewer drainage leads to coast but is a sealed grate. After 7 minutes a man arrives at the rebel camp with C4 plastic explosives which the rebels can use to blow the grate open. This alternate route would protect them from the mortar fire that enables around 5 minutes into the game.

**Cool Idea: Bin attached to jeep allows players to carry ammo to battle.

**Cool Idea: Use microphone/speaker system to make it sound like players are actually in the combine dropship when in reality they are at a far corner of the map.

**Cool Idea: Aircraft drops rebels supplies into base.

oc_tutorial (singleplayer)

oc_lost (co-op survival)
Based on the TV series LOST
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Lookie what I just found:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... th_brushes

This seems to be what I need and sounds like what you were explaining, fug.