Setting up for Hammer.

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
skillasaur
Vertex
Vertex

Setting up for Hammer.

Post by skillasaur »

Hi there.

So I've spent quite a long time reading through the forums today in search of a solution to the setting-up problem most people seem to be having. My problem I think is a little different, but vaguely along the same lines.

Firstly, I've absolutely no experience in setting up source sdk for mapping for any game, thus if anything I've done is glaringly obviously wrong let me know.

Firstly booted up source sdk, refreshed all the settings and stuff, was looking through it for anything which looked vaguely familiar and noticed the source engine selection and game selection. The first logical step was to set up OC for one of those engines, but not knowing which I went for 2009 which didn't work. After scanning the forums it seems the general theme is that it's meant for 2007, but due to the source sdk you can't set it up through the source sdk interface itself, instead you have to add lines to this gameconfig.txt.

So, I find the gameconfig.txt (as mentioned on the wiki) but I found that my gameconfig.txt only consisted of:

Code: Select all

"Configs"
{
}
Which didn't seem quite right. Nevertheless, I tried, and failed. There is still nothing displayed under "source 2007" in the sdk, and OC is missing from the other choices. It was at this point I wondered if I was barking up the wrong tree altogether, as I have neither Episode 1 or Episode 2 I thought it would be wise to come here and ask does OC require Episode 1/2 content for mapping? If not, can I get a tutorial on setting it up just for HL2?

I can't think of any other reason for it to not be working, but if anyone here can see anything I've done obviously wrong let me know.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Do you have anything under the 2006 tab? where you launch the sdk? i.e Hl2, counterstrike source?
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
skillasaur
Vertex
Vertex

Post by skillasaur »

Yeah, I've got those.

I managed to find a way to get Obsidian Conflict show up under 2009 again, and grabbed a screencap of the error I get when launching hammer.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5382/45838978.jpg
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

Honestly, you have to put it under the 2007 tab. That's when Hammer works properly with it so it has to be the right engine.
skillasaur
Vertex
Vertex

Post by skillasaur »

Datastream wrote:Honestly, you have to put it under the 2007 tab. That's when Hammer works properly with it so it has to be the right engine.
Well, I copied the gameinfo.txt from the orangebox and put it under 2007, managing to get it to show up under the 2007 engine bit in the sdk, but I still get that same error when trying to load hammer. I don't understand why since I can see the actual gameinfo.txt where it's looking for it.
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

You will still have to change the paths.

See?

"Obsidian Conflict"
{
	"GameDir"				"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\obsidian"
	"hammer"
	{

"GameData0"			"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\obsidian\obsidian sdk\obsidian.fgd"
		"BSPDir"			"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\obsidian\maps"
		"MapDir"			"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[example]\sourcesdk_content\obsidian\mapsrc"
		"GameExeDir"			"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[example]\source sdk base 2007"
		"GameExe"			"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[example]\source sdk base 2007\hl2.exe"
		"BSP"				"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[example]\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vbsp.exe"
		"Vis"				"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[example]\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vvis.exe"
		"Light"				"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[example]\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vrad.exe"
		"TextureFormat"			"5"
		"MapFormat"			"4"
		"DefaultTextureScale"		"0.250000"
		"DefaultLightmapScale"		"16"
		"DefaultSolidEntity"		"func_detail"
		"DefaultPointEntity"		"ai_ally_manager"
		"CordonTexture"			"tools\toolsskybox"
		"MaterialExcludeCount"		"0"
	}
}
skillasaur
Vertex
Vertex

Post by skillasaur »

I've already changed (checked and re-checked) each of the paths in my gameinfo.txt. I'm sure that isn't the problem.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

If You only have Halflife2 and the sdk only shows halflife2 under the 2006 tabs then I suspect you'll have to map for Obsidian by setting up the gameconfig.txt not gameinfo.txt in your sourcesdk/bin/ep1/bin

"Half-Life 2"
		{
			"GameDir"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\usernamehere\half-life 2\hl2"
			"hammer"
			{
				"GameData0"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\usernamehere\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\halflife2.fgd"
				"TextureFormat"		"5"
				"MapFormat"		"4"
				"DefaultTextureScale"		"0.250000"
				"DefaultLightmapScale"		"16"
				"GameExe"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\usernamehere\half-life 2\hl2.exe"
				"DefaultSolidEntity"		"func_detail"
				"DefaultPointEntity"		"info_player_start"
				"BSP"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\usernamehere\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vbsp.exe"
				"Vis"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\usernamehere\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vvis.exe"
				"Light"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\usernamehere\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vrad.exe"
				"GameExeDir"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\usernamehere\half-life 2"
				"MapDir"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\usernamehere\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc"
				"BSPDir"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\usernamehere\half-life 2\hl2\maps"
				"CordonTexture"		"tools\toolsskybox"
				"MaterialExcludeCount"		"0"
			}
		}
This is how the halflife2 paths look in the bin\ep1\bin/gameconfig.txt So you're obsidian path would need to suit.

Basically I suspect you havent run sdk2007base or you dont have it.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
skillasaur
Vertex
Vertex

Post by skillasaur »

Fixed it. Turned out it was a problem with my directory structure... even after checking and rechecking. Thanks guys, I feel like a right dumbass. :P