CS & EP2 Content

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
Zebra
Vertex
Vertex

CS & EP2 Content

Post by Zebra »

I have successfully configured my Hammer so that it opens with ease in the Source 2007 engine and also it reads, "Obsidian Conflict" in the Current Game.

However, my problem is that I cannot seem to find any Counter Strike or Episode Two resources. In the Materials Browser, I have confirmed this by searching for the White Forest decal/overlay with no success. I have reviewed the Wiki and (either to my failed perception or its absence) I cannot seem to find anything reguarding this. My GameInfo.txt in C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin reads as follows...

Code: Select all

"Configs"
{
   "Games"
   {
      "Half-Life 2: Episode Two"
      {
         "GameDir"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\half-life 2 episode two\ep2"
         "hammer"
         {
            "GameData0"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\halflife2.fgd"
            "TextureFormat"      "5"
            "MapFormat"      "4"
            "DefaultTextureScale"      "0.250000"
            "DefaultLightmapScale"      "16"
            "GameExe"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\half-life 2 episode two\hl2.exe"
            "DefaultSolidEntity"      "func_detail"
            "DefaultPointEntity"      "info_player_start"
            "BSP"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vbsp.exe"
            "Vis"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vvis.exe"
            "Light"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vrad.exe"
            "GameExeDir"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\half-life 2 episode two"
            "MapDir"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\sourcesdk_content\ep2\mapsrc"
            "BSPDir"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps"
            "CordonTexture"      "tools\toolsskybox"
            "MaterialExcludeCount"      "0"
         }
      }
      "Obsidian Conflict"
      {
         "GameDir"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\obsidian"
         "hammer"
         {
            "GameData0"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\obsidian\Obsidian SDK\Obsidian.fgd"
            "TextureFormat"      "5"
            "MapFormat"      "4"
            "DefaultTextureScale"      "0.250000"
            "DefaultLightmapScale"      "16"
            "GameExe"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\source sdk base 2007\hl2.exe"
            "DefaultSolidEntity"      "func_detail"
            "DefaultPointEntity"      "ai_ally_manager"
            "BSP"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vbsp.exe"
            "Vis"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vvis.exe"
            "Light"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vrad.exe"
            "GameExeDir"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\zebrajch\source sdk base 2007"
            "MapDir"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\sourcesdk_content\obsidian\mapsrc"
            "BSPDir"      "C:\SIERRA\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\obsidian\maps"
            "CordonTexture"      "tools\toolsskybox"
            "MaterialExcludeCount"      "0"
         }
      }
   }
   "SDKVersion"      "3"
}
To answer your immediate observation, I manually use SIERRA as a folder for nostalgias sake. :) Considering the amount of resources that EP2 and CS:S have, I will do anything I have to do to be able to utilize their content and I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can assist me with this issue.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: CS & EP2 Content

Post by fug4life »

I normally just extract what I need to obsidian directories.

I did try this method: http://www.obsidianconflict.net/forums/ ... f=6&t=3424

But I found that there were conflicts and stuff like hammers orientation axis and model bounding boxes rendered black, so I assumed this wasn't good and gave up on the idea.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Zebra
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Zebra »

I can definitely confirm the difficulties you have had with that alternative method. It is quite unstable.

I will instead opt for the decision many of us already have and extract the content we desire to the obsidian directories. Thank you for your input.
Zebra
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Zebra »

After an entire days worth of fail, I can say that I have absolutely no idea how to successfully extract content from EP1, EP2, and Counter-Strike without breaking several things.

Using GCFScape and being careful not to replace any files, I go through extracting the sounds, models, and materials from the above triad of content. However, I forget about HL2's files and them being 'assumed' that their there, so I essentially broke my Obsidian Conflict to where it refuses to load a map. Cue acquisition of .exe so I can feed those same three folders in it again and again.

I've never mapped for a Source mod before, so forgive me if this sounds a bit strange. I want to keep the original HL2 files when it comes to HL2, but I don't want the HL2 files having priority over the EP2 ones when EP2 is played, kind of like having EP2 when playing EP2 and HL2 when playing HL2, since we know how Valve has a strange and annoying fetish for recycling texture names for no god damned reason. For instance, when I replaced the HL2 content with EP2 by accident, I noticed my map had strange recolorizations all over the place which ruined the design, so I had to go back and fix that. Now, wouldn't having the HL2 content there already to prevent EP2 content replacing it in the editor cause HL2 content in the directory to have priority over EP2 content in the game? Meaning the original HL2 files models and textures will be loaded instead of EP2's? Meaning that I will be getting the wrong versions of textures all over the place in EP2 based maps?

If anyone can ever possibly answer the above without their brain exploding, could anyone provide some sort of reasonable way to transfer these files in a way to where we don't destroy Obsidian Conflict or override anything? Everything seems to be covered in terms of Obsidian Conflict mapping except this very topic, so if we can take care of this, it'll be helping alot of people and increase the flow of potential projects.
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Andrax17 »

rename the textures and then edit the .vmf to point to the renamed texture? Probably not the best thing to do...but i cant think of anything else.
like if you have EP2 textures, you could put them to different materials folder.. like materials/myep2textures or w/e, tho this would require you to edit every vmf to point to the new location of the vtf files.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I think your problem is extracting everything at once.

I manually extract what I want, and if there isnt a corresponding folder in the obsidian directory I creat one,

Lets say i want materials from materials/models/props_hive, I would create a folder called props_hive in the materials/models folder, and only then extract the content inside. Its slower just this way I extract only the materials I'm after.

I know it sounds a lot of work, but if you fire hammer up in ep2 or css and browse try to figure out what stuff you want to use you can then be more selective in what you extract.

Just get into the habit of only extracting what you need.

If someone has a better way...
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Zebra
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Zebra »

Using Notepad++, I simply went into the materials data files and renamed them so they would be detected in their directories I gave them. Then after I finish the map, I'll just use Notepad++ in the same way and replace all those special directories for the folders and make it instead read from the .gcf I originally obtained them from.

It didn't take too long to convert the materials I wanted using this fashion, and by converting it over after the map is finished so it reads from the .gcf, it should work well.