oc_diving_v9 (FIXED... maybe)

Release your amazing Map creations here!
Vesuvian
prop_static
prop_static

Re: oc_diving_v9 (FIXED... maybe)

Post by Vesuvian »

Tropical Banana Republic coming right up.
"I need to engage in homicidal behavior on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs."
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Well, Im not saying it should be tropical but if you're heading in that dirrection some ideas...

Well to start with the only tropical islands I know with launch sites and warhouses are stuff from James Bond movies or Thunderbirds.
So, I was thinking more how to pimp up the map in that sort of style and still keep tropical feel (so moving away from
wooden beach hut sort of tropical).

There are de_dust palm tree models which I think are in Obsidian, if not I have a download link (They were fixed by Skidz, leaves added ro trunk as one model).

The rooms, could be more modern concrete condo apartments.

The tunnel and island behind need some love, maybe convert the tunnel to a long bridge, and the island model compared to the displacements in the sky box looks low resolution in comparison.

Or get rid of the tunnel completely.

The combine metal, its a bit of a tough one its used mainly for base building and buttons or where you deposit gems, personally I'm not a fan of its use in this map and would I'd like to see the combine metal go completely, or send it up into space or launch room of the rocket.

But maybe the base building could use more rustic metal that look like they've been stripped of a ship.

The problem with going tropical is the warehouse and rocket launch they are really big features for a tiny island so a balance between high tech and low tech needs to be found, maybe keeping the tunnel is a good thing as it signafies a logistical link.

Of course you could go the other way with a much more cooler climate situation.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Beanbrains wrote:Errr.. you mean the spot you can dig for the random treasure chest thing? That thing has been there since V3 or so. I should probably have removed that as it was more of an experiment than anything.
Oh i just noticed that isn't ingame, only saw it when i checked the map in crafty real quick and thought it was supposed to seal that hole :P
Vesuvian
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Vesuvian »

Don't worry Fug, I'm a fan of Tropico 3. This should end up looking pretty nice!
"I need to engage in homicidal behavior on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs."
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Also i discussed with Tysn a while ago that it would be cool to add the map officially to OC and making it more visually appealing, but all the content in the map would either have to be stock valve content, made by a team member (like Vesuvian's models and textures would be no problem), Or in case it really has to be third-party, license is given to us to use and redistribute the content in OC.
Rules on Steam are a bit more strict.

Tell me if you would be interested in that.
Vesuvian
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Vesuvian »

Before:

After:
Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

Sure, if we can make or find completely strings-free models to replace anything not already so, we will. (I think we just need a few trees, rocks and plants)

What happens to maps that have things like antlion workers in but don't require ep1/2? If they are strict I don't think they would appreciate people getting content from games they don't have :P.
Vesuvian
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Vesuvian »

Someone mentioned they're getting black squares in the middle of signs.

I joined a server last night and was getting pink/black checkerboard squares in the middle of the signs. Something is definitely wrong with the overlay projection.
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Andrax17 »

Vesuvian wrote:Someone mentioned they're getting black squares in the middle of signs.

I joined a server last night and was getting pink/black checkerboard squares in the middle of the signs. Something is definitely wrong with the overlay projection.
i didnt see those when i played
Vesuvian
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Vesuvian »

Just call me Cuban Pete.

Old:

New:

I need to retexture the beams along the roof. I just can't find the exact shade of brown I need right now.

Edit: oops, just remembered I need to add window ledges
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

Looking good, though vrad-compiled screenshots are always preferable since lighting makes any geometry look 10x better. :wink:

As worfox mentioned, we'd really like to include this with the mod once the architecture is improved. At the moment I'm tied up in other maps, but if you need help with some minor things give me a shout.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Cuban setting is good I think you found a good theme for the map, you might find a nice decal or two in cs_havanna map.
I like the terraced seating.

Earlier screen shots of the recycler look good, be wary of using lots of metal props for the roof, i.e the tin.

I think the map would make a good official map.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Vesuvian
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Vesuvian »

Thanks fug!

I took liberties with the tin roof since the models are so low poly. That roof is equivalent to about 1 player model.

It's explained pretty in-depth here:
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I lol'd.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
SNOWMAN7
Donator
Donator

Post by SNOWMAN7 »

Wow diving is gonna look superfancy! That tropical like touch is very nice~