oc_diving_v9 (FIXED... maybe)

Release your amazing Map creations here!
Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Re: oc_diving_v9

Post by Beanbrains »

v9 uploaded

-using new research disk model (by Vesuvian)
-if the rocket somehow gets stuck or vanishes or something, the lab teleporter will open anyway.
-big boat doors widened slightly to prevent them becoming inacessible if parked at an awkward angle
-256x256 panel message corrected
-shadows on 256x256 panel fixed
-broken elevator door now doesn't collide with players - easier to get in
-air tanks now use smaller model
-oilrig now has an interior
-bug that could cause loot to stop spawning is fixed (related to loot crates)
-delay added to space elevator to avoid it moving through closed doors
-fishing rod should no longer make boats spaz out horribly
-there are now a couple of groups of fish that slowly move around the map, fishing here results in instant perch.
-portable refinery is now freezeable like baseparts
-prevented sharks from killing people in airboats
-there is now a gun-airboat
-transporter now hovers on its own, left clicking starts it floating upwards, right clicking for downwards, hold both to stop moving.
-changed the research room so that people don't accidentally exit right after entering
-notifications when things are researched
-researched items now indicate that they are already purchased in a more clear way (text over it instead of just glass)
-cleaned up the displacement work around the lab
-removed a few textures that didn't belong (prop textures on brushes, why does hammer even let you do that?)
-new button texture (by Vesuvian)
-some optimisation (it's hard to optimise a big open map full of expensive water, but I tried)
-a couple of secret things

-new research items:
--gauss gun (having it adds it to the merchant and weapon crate)
--warehouse job doubler
--warehouse pay doubler

-uberharvester changes:
--now falls down slowly
--floats on water
--right click accelerates downwards (needed to go underwater)
--cargo doors work automatically
--now stores up to 20 loot items at once, storing them like the loot box (gives you a message when full)

-map decoration improvements (by jake):
--seagulls fly around the map
--new skybox
--rocks and trees added
--ambient sound (waves)
--changed textures
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

sounds good bean looks like youf been busy.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Andrax17 »

well the diving_v9 is on keyfox now...and everytime i finish loading tha map, and i spawn, it crashes the game (Lancelot Albion has same problem). We cant play it at all.
also i saw some fancy castle in the background near the lab, which had missing textures
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

those were trees andrax. purple black trees.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

Weird, I was able to connect to the keyfox server fine, and everything custom was pakratted in... What specific parts seemed to be missing?

Also what happens if you try to host it yourself?

Edit: I removed the model packs and also crashed, saw no pink trees though, guess packrat went wrong somehow.

Edit edit: Turns out the guy trying to make the map look nicer used two identical modelpacks with different names or something, and it broke everything, going to try re compiling when I have got rid of the duplicates

Edit edit edit: I may have fixed it, needs testing now. (its uploaded)
Vesuvian
prop_static
prop_static

Re: oc_diving_v9 (FIXED... maybe)

Post by Vesuvian »

Working fine for me, just needs the tree textures fixed and it should be good to go.
"I need to engage in homicidal behavior on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs."
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Played this on a russian server, I think the server op .res files the tree textures are they AOC materials right?

Anyhow I only had a quick run around, The cubemapping is a little messed up, did you add a cubemap to your 3d skybox?
Also most of the gameplay notes in the map (apart from basebuild notice) have a small missing texture in the center of the notice texture.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

fug4life wrote:Played this on a russian server, I think the server op .res files the tree textures are they AOC materials right?
Yeah they are AOC trees, somethings really wrong with them, it only seems to show up if you have the entire material pack in the right place, and I would rather not have to include 60 megs in the map just for one texture - probably going to use different trees next time.
fug4life wrote: did you add a cubemap to your 3d skybox?
I had a feeling I was missing something...
fug4life wrote: Also most of the gameplay notes in the map (apart from basebuild notice) have a small missing texture in the center of the notice texture.
Not sure about this one, no one else seems to have noticed and I could see them fine after removing all my custom textures and stuff (relying on the resources included in the map). There's nothing special in the middle of the gameplay notes, the entire thing is one texture so I have no idea why the middle wouldn't work.

Could I have a screenshot of one? And could anyone else with this issue please say?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

And is this piece of metal random?

Yeah the trees dont really fit, pine trees aren't good for small islands, though the foilage looks nice but you can find replacements for most for that stuff easily.

Sometimes I want to shake you and say to you give the map a balanced overhaul, using more consistent themes when choosing models and textures.

At the moment you have quite a nice skytexture that would really suite a tropical island, but some of the other props materials and texturing are out of place.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

I have absolutely no clue about the sign thing - do you have any unusual settings, like running at a really old DX level?
fug4life wrote:And is this piece of metal random?
It's the thing money spawns on when you do deliveries.
fug4life wrote:Yeah the trees dont really fit
I'm not very good at making things look nice because I only really see functionality, was someone else who added the props.
fug4life wrote:Sometimes I want to shake you and say to you give the map a balanced overhaul, using more consistent themes when choosing models and textures.
Vesuvian just offered to try making it look nicer now, and I think he can do a better job than the other guy. Lets hope I survive long enough to make V10.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Whoever tried to make the map look nicer seems to only know how to place props in hammer, when i saw how he flattened that little displacement hole... :suicide:
(the one that's on the rocket's island.)
Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

Errr.. you mean the spot you can dig for the random treasure chest thing? That thing has been there since V3 or so. I should probably have removed that as it was more of an experiment than anything.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Some of the new things are a welcome addition, seagulls for instance, its not all bad :)

As for the texture I'm running in quite high settings, no idea why, plus one of them appears ok (the base building instructions).

All I can say is some parts of the map really are literrally hot and cold with the choice of models and textures used.
Its like an island that cant decide if its a tropical island or an industrail cold sea front area.

I know the map is about the gameplay, but with some thought the visuals could look equally as good as the gameplay.

P.s dont give up you've got a great map, turned out to be a popular map, it still has much potential to improve upon itself...

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

Yes I know people care about looks, just saying I'm not that good at making things look nice so I have to rely on others :P. Vesuvian is currently working on making the basepart deleter look nicer.

I will keep working on it until I get so close to the entity limit that it crashes from trying to buy anything :D
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Roger that, I wish u luck.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database