oc_pvp_turnbased

Release your amazing Map creations here!
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Neico has trie don his server aswell and same map differs.

If you have no luck trying to fix this, could you pm the vmf for inspection?
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

using the compile log inspector tool should help in most cases too

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... e_Analyzer
Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

Neico wrote:using the compile log inspector tool should help in most cases too

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... e_Analyzer
Didn't find any errors.
fug4life wrote:If you have no luck trying to fix this, could you pm the vmf for inspection?
Sent.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Well, I added a test version to my server and I think its working now. I joined no trouble.

I didn't change much:

Compiled in OrangeBox Obsidian (Just checking your not using ep1 or anything).

And the brushes that encompass the map (The floor, ceiling & walls) had all six faces of the brush textured with tools\black texture. what I've done is re-textured these brushes with no-draw and selected only the faces that look into the world to be textured with tools\black.

I don't know if that is the problem but I suspect it may be.

Its good practise when creating brushes to always create the brush with the nodraw texture selected, and then texturing only the faces that are in the actual world game area.

This avoids having unessercary faces textured that aren't meant for rendering and also makes sure that any tool textures that are not able to seal the world aren't used on the external faces.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Well I can see my server both external and internally but I'm struggling to connect now (not your map, just ive been having server/connection issues for a few days now). If others want to test the 'test' map that'll be a big help.

http://www.filefront.com/16164207/oc_pv ... d_test.bsp

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Just an update, yeah the test version of the map works, had like 3-4 people join my server. So I'd suggest what I wrote above.

Also could u explain if you're meant to be killed if you press use in more than one turn~? Or atleast I think thats why we keep dying around the second or third move?

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

fug4life wrote:Compiled in OrangeBox Obsidian (Just checking your not using ep1 or anything).
I compile it in hl2dm, can't see how this could be a problem - diving works.
fug4life wrote:And the brushes that encompass the map (The floor, ceiling & walls) had all six faces of the brush textured with tools\black texture. what I've done is re-textured these brushes with no-draw and selected only the faces that look into the world to be textured with tools\black.
Diving has a bit of black touching the void that i missed, and that works. Also i thought that all void-touching faces were automatically turned to nodraw on compile anyway?
fug4life wrote:Also could u explain if you're meant to be killed if you press use in more than one turn~? Or atleast I think thats why we keep dying around the second or third move?
Uh, you should only ever die if someone shoots at you or you try to move into a spawn point or non-existant tile.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Probably hl2dm compiling is the source of your troubles. Could also explain possibly issues you have with oc_diving. I can't really see how you're compiling oc_diving with hl2dm, unless your adding obsidians fgd's to your hl2dm gameconfig.

Which eva, hl2dm is a bit of a no, no. If I were you I'd change how you setup up your sdk game config.

As for culling faces that are seen in the world you are right, but I never trust it, a sit has caused me grief in the past. also its just good practise to start out with a brush fully textured in no-draw before you move on (particually if your creating displacements).

probably the only brushes i have all 6 sides textured touching the void are skybox textures

also fairly sure Ive died just trying to move along onto the next grey tile.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

I set up hammer for OC, after it going wrong hundreds of times - my orange box gameconfig was missing:

"Games"
{
}

for some reason.

Also now that I have hammer running on orange box, all of the textures are super-blurry and it crashes way more, woo. I think I will stick to mapping in hl2dm and compiling it with vbct (but for OC this time).
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

manually edit the gameconfig and then right-click on it and add the read only flag to it, problem sloved...

also if you don't follow the source sdk setup for oc i won't guarantee for anything that happens (and won't further support you as every problem might be because of that, period)

it's not like that it's the hardest thing to do... you could even ask how the other mappers have set it up (IRC is a pretty good way to do so, or the steam group chat, but both requires that someone actually joins that you can ask)
Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

I did follow the sdk guide things (there were two, one in the OC folder and one on the forum), its just that they both contradicted eachother and were both out of date.

Also now vbct is complaining that the game name in GameConfig.txt and GameInfo.txt are different (one is Obsidian Conflict, the other is Obsidian Conflict 1.34.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

use the one on the wiki... also what is vbct?
Beanbrains
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Beanbrains »

The one on the wiki kind of worked, the batch file spewed some errors (cannot find path specified, 'CHOICE' is not recognized, ROBOCOPY not recognised as valid executable...) but apparently managed to do something, except now vbct really hates me.

vbct is a compiler that somehow works much faster than when you compile in hammer even though it does the same stuff.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

oh that one, never used it...
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I can post a copy of my config if you're still having trouble. Also its posted around in the forums somewhere a couple of times (probably in mapping help setting up sdk).

Edit:

Code: Select all

"Obsidian Conflict" 
      { 
         "GameDir"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Obsidian" 
         "hammer" 
         { 
            "GameData0"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Obsidian\Obsidian SDK\Obsidian.fgd" 
            "TextureFormat"      "5" 
            "MapFormat"      "4" 
            "DefaultTextureScale"      "0.250000" 
            "DefaultLightmapScale"      "16" 
            "GameExe"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2\hl2.exe" 
            "DefaultSolidEntity"      "func_detail" 
            "DefaultPointEntity"      "ai_ally_manager" 
            "BSP"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe" 
            "Vis"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe" 
            "Light"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe" 
            "GameExeDir"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2" 
            "MapDir"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc" 
            "BSPDir"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\obsidian\maps" 
            "CordonTexture"      "tools\toolsskybox" 
            "MaterialExcludeCount"      "0" 
         } 
      } 
Note I use hl2\mapsrc for most of my vmf's.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database