Obsidian Map Database

Release your amazing Map creations here!
Dominic
Donator
Donator

Re: Obsidian Map Database

Post by Dominic »

Alright sweet, sorry for the late response I don't know how to set up permissions for letting users add/edit mappers so sorry for now guys, we gotta wait for cold to come back from his sleepy time and do it hah

edit: oh i completely missed that:
Hi, :oops:

Sorry I didn't mean to catch you of guard with the site, I'm like an Obsidian Net Detective at the moment. Feel free to make a more of an official post when you're ready, prehaps W0rf0x will be kind enough to delete this topic. And then you can start again. It would be nice if a topic here eventually gets stickied here, as I think the Database, should be a good place to send mappers from here, as well as the obsidian official wiki.

Am I ok to continue adding maps to the site, or you prefer I wait? Also, there are a few descrepancies with some of the Maps and who are the given authors, though some things I do not have right to edit (i.e my own mapper page). For instance I did not make oc_party_12a.

I just wanted to say the site is really well done and is relatively easy to use, and I truly feel custom community mappers, need some where, where they can upload and pimp their map, but also users can keep the information updated (unlike say the forums).

I hope to contribute a lot as time passes, I'm not perfect but I like to think I have quite an extended knowledge of the maps out there and who created them.
Go ahead and keep adding maps and contribute how you want, I say we should keep making progress adding maps socializing here till we upload a bunch and make a lot of progress, then we can let this die and start over with the official one. Also, as for the whole "can't edit" mappers page I was hoping to fix that my self but then I got completely lost in the admin panel so, I gotta wait for cold now to fix it for us.

Thank you, for helping and spreading the site, I am actually glad that you guys are helping me out with adding the maps already :), One of the main reasons we started this was the maps being posted in the forums always like to have broken dl or really slow dl speeds, with the database we now fix this problem, like that space invaders map, I was dying to play that, then he says the download is down and how he removed it, and I was sad because i actually wanted to play that.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Keep up the good work^ same goes for you Ark.

I've finished uploading all my stuff (maps) thats up to date, and I think they're all consistent with how you want them.

I've probably got a copy of just about every map out there on the net for oc, so if you're struggling to find more maps, I can get hold of them plus most of the exsisiting background info, i.e author etc.

I'ma take a break let you and ark put up what ever ones you've both planned to add. Then I come add more if you've missed many.

Also advise me on the quality of maps you're expecting to go on there, obviously I wouldnt upload anything I thought was barely started let alone a finished product. I guess common sense?

Yeah and the mapadds thing is something to think about for the future, I deffinately will be putting more dod:s stuff out to the public somewhere, so if thats the sort of thing you're looking for, then you're welcome to accomodate that sort of stuff.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Dominic
Donator
Donator

Post by Dominic »

fug4life wrote:Keep up the good work^ same goes for you Ark.

I've finished uploading all my stuff (maps) thats up to date, and I think they're all consistent with how you want them.

I've probably got a copy of just about every map out there on the net for oc, so if you're struggling to find more maps, I can get hold of them plus most of the exsisiting background info, i.e author etc.

I'ma take a break let you and ark put up what ever ones you've both planned to add. Then I come add more if you've missed many.

Also advise me on the quality of maps you're expecting to go on there, obviously I wouldnt upload anything I thought was barely started let alone a finished product. I guess common sense?

Yeah and the mapadds thing is something to think about for the future, I deffinately will be putting more dod:s stuff out to the public somewhere, so if thats the sort of thing you're looking for, then you're welcome to accomodate that sort of stuff.
The objective of the database is to add every single map of OC in the database, similar to sven coop map database, I mean obviously unfinished maps or just completely horrible maps that are made for shits and giggles shouldn't added, (Box maps with little to no content, fullbright on top of that) I mean that would be okay in the work in progress section till they actually finish it or make it better, but not in the released section.

Thanks for offering all the info and map thing that will really help us, as the only place i will be able to find maps now is either the forum or the mods map folder.

edit: This is a really time consuming thing, adding maps, editing them, adding the mapper, fixing silly mistakes i made, and etc. For the past 3 days I have been working on the site with only 1 - 2 hours play games time, so like I woke up on friday at 10 and worked on it for 4 - 6 hours
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Agreed, it does take it toll, I'll carry on and try fit in 4-8 hours a week over the next couple of weeks, see if I can get a substantial amount on there, once yer up and running a bit more, hopefully mappers who release, will as part of their release go and add to the database at the same time.

P.s. Take a break you've done a grand job so far!

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Dominic
Donator
Donator

Post by Dominic »

fug4life wrote:Agreed, it does take it toll, I'll carry on and try fit in 4-8 hours a week over the next couple of weeks, see if I can get a substantial amount on there, once yer up and running a bit more, hopefully mappers who release, will as part of their release go and add to the database at the same time.

P.s. Take a break you've done a grand job so far!
Thank you :) those 4 - 8 hours a week will really help, in time everything just starts building up and it all just becomes filled with content, so thanks fug I appreciate it, you too ark, and thank you to anyone else who starts contributing.

I'll take a break after cold comes back and fixes the permissions, haha i wanna take a break now but, what will i be doing? I'll be doing useless things!

EDIT: OKAY :D Cold came on rather early today and told me how to fix permissions, so now the mapper page is fully editable by site members so yay :)
Ark
Donator
Donator

Post by Ark »

Added Zteer as a mapper earlier and one more map. I'll keep going tomorrow.
Dominic
Donator
Donator

Post by Dominic »

Thanks for your support ark and fug, we together achieved the most we've achieved in a day :D, around 10 - 14 maps and like 2 - 5 new mappers. Good job and thanks, as for me I will continue work. Oh, almost forgot, cold and I also fixed the tags, cold added the year map timeline starting from 2006 till forever, and I've been helping in general with the site so like.. yea good job everybody!

edit: go ahead and join the group http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Ocmapdb
cold_blood3d_killa
Vertex
Vertex

Post by cold_blood3d_killa »

thanks to everyone who has helped so far. i'm amazed by this community's enthusiasm and knowledge. the site is already at 74 maps in a matter of days, with hundreds of screenshots, along with downloads, videos, and more. it's been a pleasure to support this project and help get it off the ground. keep up the great work guys :D
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

The Thanks still goes to you guys, still got quite a few maps to add, trying to do 5-10 each day.

Also let me know if you're short of donations come payment time, I don't want to see the site die! I've been waiting for a site like this for a long time!

Edit: Oh wow you're a long time member of the forums :o

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Dominic
Donator
Donator

Post by Dominic »

I too am surprised at the amount of maps that have been uploaded in a few days! Thank you all for contributing, I hope it lasts for a long time :).
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Andrax17 »

great website and yeah, there is lots of maps (i didnt even know OC had that many maps :D).
and i took the liberty of adding myself as mapper and added my map website link to oc and database profiles :d (only have one wip map series)
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I've still got a few maps up my sleeve...

The site will need tyding a bit, at the moment I'm just focusing on correctly getting maps up there all as latest versions. There's still a few official maps to go up, and the tags need a bit of tidying as well as some of the descriptions, but getting there.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
cold_blood3d_killa
Vertex
Vertex

Post by cold_blood3d_killa »

hit 100 maps tonight, after 2 just weeks! i wonder how many are left. :o

of course this milestone is entirely the result of hard working community members, who care about building a home for all OC maps :)

announcement @ http://steamcommunity.com/groups/OCMapD ... 4426605016
Dominic
Donator
Donator

Post by Dominic »

Struggling with updates with out cold..

But, I have managed alright without his help so far.
  • put "add tutorial" button on the front page
  • Added add tutorial in contribute drop down bar at the top, and updated contribute info page
  • Made the tutorial template which is terrible and if someone could give me a better template I would be very thankful
  • I added Reviews + Textures to the tabs on the front page on the right but for now as not functioning as those are using code on wikidots I have not done before.
If you guys have any suggestions please do tell me, I will try my best to get to them.
Xenire
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Xenire »

Sounds like you guys are putting a lot of work into the site and it's turning out to be a pretty useful resource. The more maps OC gets the more useful such a resource will become. I'll see about updating the information for my map on the site.
[tab=135]Salt.