oc_dday

Release your amazing Map creations here!
Hickers
Vertex
Vertex

oc_dday

Post by Hickers »

Hello, i finaly finished my map but be kind im new to all this.

heres the link: http://rapidshare.com/files/449163049/oc_dday_v1.rar (needs updating)
filefront is being a pain for some reson
And the vid:

The map if you dont already know is a team based map in were the reds mission is to land on the beach and capture the base and anything else in the area. The blues in turn have to defend at all cost. The reds will have the harder time due the the blues being in the defensive position and also having better weapons including a combine mortor. There is also a number of rebels on the beech to take some of the blow. The are a number of cash pick ups for the reds to help them buy the bangleores and the bombs needed to complete some objectives.

I hope you enjoy but if there are any problem just post and i see what i can do.
Last edited by Hickers on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: oc_dday

Post by fug4life »

:thumbsupgabe: Downloading will squeeze in some time tomorrow to play this!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

There are some things you should know, you have two text documents which I assume are your merchant script files. It would be better if they were named merchant_hickers_dday_red & merchant_hickers_dday_blue (Just so its more obvious as to what the files are, especially given the fact you didn't have a folder structure in you .zip file that corresponds with the mods directory).

When you create a .zip/.rar you should keep the folder structure as seen in the mod so when people extract the files they go correctly to the relevant folder.

So in your .zip/.rar you'd have two folders.

In the first is: maps\oc_dday_v1.bsp & oc_dday_v1.res
In the second is: scripts\merchants\merchant_hickers_dday_red & merchant_hickers_dday_blue

Which you did correctly in your .res file but you didn't actually place the files into folders.

And finally your other text document should be converted into a map_briefing.txt, here's how your's would look:

Code: Select all

Obsidian Conflict

Map: oc_dday
Author: Hickers

Description:

Red Team:
1. Press the start button
2. Start the landings
3. Use bangleores to destroy fences
4. Use the bomb to blow the wall were shown
5. Capture the base by:
A. Disabaling the radar by destroying computer
B. Destroying artillary ammo boxes with a bomb
C. Rase the Union Jack at the top ofthe main tower
6. Move out to the back of the base
7. Turn on the lift power at the side of the lift
8. Defeat the choppa before using the lift and defend the generator

Blue Team:
1. Defend the base as long as possible
2. Destroy the generator to stop the reds from entering the secret base

Special Thanks:
Tested by Spoon.inc and Lord'Sgt.Saiax
W0rf0x, Tysn, Neico and the rest of the oc dev team
This would then be saved as oc_dday_v1_briefing.txt and you'd need to include it here in your .zip/.rar file like so: maps/cfg/oc_dday_v1_briefing.txt

Also update your .res file to match the new changes.

Also try and keep things looking neat well spelt and gramatically correct, I've updated your text above.

The things I mentioned above just make life easier for people to install your map into their mod folders, and the briefing text is a vgui that pops up that players have to click ok on first join of the map, and can be seen by pressing a key at anythime during gameplay. So basically they can read the map objectives in game at anytime, and have to read it atleast once on first map join.

Actual map feedback will come soon...

Oh and finally please don't add my name as I'm not a part of the Dev team. Flattering yes, but not true, I know I hang around here maybe acting like a dev at times, but I'm just a wannabe =D I'm like a bad smell they can't get rid of, well they could if they wanted. But seriously could you make sure that is corrected.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Ok, had a quick play through on my own:

I'd say your biggest issue at the moment is framerates I found them to be lowish' though I tested with everything on max, my computer is medium spec.

Only things I can suggest are:

Less turrets or npcs (probably less turrets there like twelve on the beach alone).
Check your fade distances on all things that support it (mainly models) in rooms those props should only be visible inside the room or from just outside, smaller props especially also with small props and props in skybox turn of shadows.
Make sure brushes are func_detailed that needs to be. And hintbush where possible.

Small issues:

The price of the text and the actual price differ on some of the buyables at red spawn -dont know about anyblue stuff.

I did notice a small displacement gap between brush in blue left (not radar side)high trench and the diplacement about halfway along.

Your texturing really needs some time spent on it, more consistencey and believable, prehaps the boats could be metal textures? And some of the texturing inside the base, had a bad interior decorator.

Table with radio you can break table underneath.

Eveything else seemed to go smoothly, though the elevator worked on and off without batteries, and I never found second battery so didn't get to helicopter part.

Apart from that its a good map, no-one else has made anything like it. I hope you'll keep working on it balancing it, would be nice to see how laggy the framerates get with 8 players per team.

I'll post more things as I come across them.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Hickers
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Hickers »

Thanks for testing :D

Yeah the fram rate was a prob when testing with a few its like when you in the middle of the water but was just a listen server so thought it could be that. I'll see what i can do. I already took alot of the npcs out.
The boat used to be metal but couldnt find any practical way for getting it to float so i just made it wood as it floats no problem.
I'll see what chp1 or 2 has in texture or make my own in time when i have the programs.
The batterys are at each side 1 in bedroom under the radar and other is on the cliff battlement in a wooden box.
The turrets have been a pain for the displacements change them so many times.
Ill get it fixed soon as possible.
Hickers
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Hickers »

what entity do i use to make it have less npc spawning when it has more player i think its used in broken escape or somthing?
Hmm might just make them spawn when your inside the base.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Try game_zone_player its a tie-able brush entity.

If not look into triggers and math counters or logic_player_branch

Though I think the first is the right one, or there's another brush entity in the list associated.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

themoldyone
Polygon
Polygon

Post by themoldyone »

Hi hicker Nice map didn't notice a frame rate problem. I love beta testing the map with you hope to do so in the future.
Hickers
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Hickers »

Thanks :D done about a third of my part 2 so we can test that when the bulk of it is done (its a hl1 style as in a bunker which has lots of puzzles in so shouldnt have any fps streching in it)
Did a few test on it and it seem to be when you can see from the wooden tower on the left ot the one on the right and you get like 15 fps. Did a few tests to see how to stop it.
1st. tryed with no combines
2nd took all the tank barriers off the beach
3rd removed skybox
All these together gave only 5 more fps so i dont know what to do.
I removed the main part of hte base in the middle and that dramaticly improved it to about 40 -50fps
Might rebuild the main bart of the base in the middle (the curved walls might cause laggy portals?)
I left my computer doing a full compile to see if that would sort it but only had a 20 hour time limit to do so and it wasnt finished. (Is it ment to take so long i have a 6 core 3.2 Ghz prossesor and a 2BG radeon card and DDR3 ram?)
Thanks for the player branch going ot use it to stop the spawns on the middle tower levels.

Just done another test i removed all the npcs that spawn when you press start plus the rebels. I get a fps of about 30 when going along in the boat then it goes 60+ when get onto the beach. This to me plays fine seens as you dont realy fight in the boat anyway.
So i will create a few mgs on the battlements, change red spawn a bit and create standed npc spawns which spawn when you enter the building.
robot225
Vertex
Vertex

Post by robot225 »

awsome vid :nomoreflame: BUT ill do this :suicide: suicide

PLZ dont comment on to this comment :evil:
Hickers
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Hickers »

hey, am moving along with the new version of this map seen as it is too much power needed plus a odd bug. The new one is a more of a css style of game were players have one life each. The map content has been changed to make the map into smaller areas so that all the map isnt seen at once. I will give more detail when it gets a more playable state.

As for the second part of this map it is just about complete and is in a fully playable state with custom music and a few textures. It was easyer to make due to it being a action map with puzzles to get people thinking of how to get to the next part. It all seems to play fine on my test server with random people that join. I had a problem on a main server were it downloads all the files except the .bsp file but i dont know if its my prob because it downloaded on the test server or the server acutaly has a problem?

Anyway enjoy and hers the link

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20402240/dday%2B1.rar

Thanks now