oc_Outhouse

Release your amazing Map creations here!
Xenire
Former Developer
Former Developer

oc_Outhouse

Post by Xenire »

After my extremely lengthy hiatus I have come back and have released my map over at the MapDB: http://mapdb.obsidianconflict.net/map:outhouse. Feel free to give it a shot if you are interested, but keep in mind you will need at least two players to complete it without cheating. The map is missing the conclusion and originally I intended to wait until I finished it since it lacked an ending punch. I have decided to release it now since I do not know when I will end up finishing the conclusive section.

I have learned a great deal and I hope it improves my future work with the editor. Feedback and any bug reports are always welcomed as I'm sure there are problems I did not find with the limited testing sample.
Last edited by Xenire on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
[tab=135]Salt.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: oc_Outhouse

Post by fug4life »

Congrats on taking the effort to make your map look nice.

When I get time, I'll be sure to dl and test it next time I fire up OC.

Also add a pic or two here as well ;)

Edit: I've featured it on the mapdatabase.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Xenire
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Xenire »

Thanks Fug. I will take a couple screenshots sometime soon and get them posted in the thread.

Sadly, I noticed that there are two issues present in the map I missed, and both of which came from last minute changes I made before packing it. The wait timer is set to the incorrect time (30 instead of 20 or vice versa) and there is a visible nodraw texture in a corner of a room. I don't really want to make people who may have already grabbed it download it again as neither issue is map breaking but it bothers me. I may create another version to fix these two problems and add a difficulty selection while I'm at it.

Edit:
I decided not to do the difficulty select at the moment but I will update the version present on the MapDB to fix those two issues. I figure it's best to take care such easily fixed and trivial issues sooner than later anyhow. My apologies to any of those who may have downloaded it before...I'll be sure to change the bsp name.
Last edited by Xenire on Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[tab=135]Salt.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Sounds like a good idea.

The timer you can fix with a modify.txt if you wanted to put out a quick fix for server ops.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Xenire
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Xenire »

Alright, the download updated with the fixed version. Here are some quick thread destroying screenshots:

The map in truth is actually fairly short currently but it's quite dense.
[tab=135]Salt.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Hmm looks interesting. You know what server have it?
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Xenire
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Xenire »

Maestro Fénix wrote:Hmm looks interesting. You know what server have it?
Fully updated version is on the Official Obsidian Conflict server and L-atitude.
Last edited by Xenire on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
[tab=135]Salt.
Xenire
Former Developer
Former Developer

New Version

Post by Xenire »

Just uploaded a new version of the first part of the map to the MapDB. It is essentially the candidate for the final version which will be packed with the conclusion.

Here is the changelog as it is on the the MapDB page:
  • Added a difficulty select at the start of the map. I recommend playing normal (which is difficult at skill 3 anyway) until you know the map well. Hard difficulty will add more spawns and you will absolutely need to work together so beware!
  • Added three new powerful custom enemies to fight two of which are of mini-boss level.
  • Added hints for some of the less obvious hidden weaponry, and added a couple new spots.
  • Added a short cutscene at the start.
  • Added two checkpoints and lives are now only dispensed to dead players.
  • All teamwork required parts can now be done solo if there is only one player in the game or alive.
  • Overhauled weapon and ammo balance.
  • Changed some enemy balance including spawns and AI.
  • Improved a lot of general fidelity, some textures, and fixed some lighting.
  • Improved the auto-closing door (no longer gives headaches).
  • A lot of little tweaks all around.
Be sure to report any problems or if you just have a suggestion for the final version that's always good.

Edit: I just realized I misplaced a file in the sound folder of the zip so I'm re-uploading it. If you already had the other version of the map it wouldn't matter though because the sound directory was not changed; only the material directory was changed.

Important Update!
Updated the modify file.
February 19 - I had to once again update the modify file because of some botched AI. The link is updated, as before the zip is also updated, and I apologize to anyone who downloaded it before.

I realized that I made a badly positioned trigger for a checkpoint; this can result in players not being brought back when they should be. I made a mapadd fix for that issue and a few other minor issues while I was at it. The zip on the MapDB has been updated with the new modify file.
Last edited by Xenire on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[tab=135]Salt.
Xenire
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Xenire »

Okay. So apparently there is a glitch with mapadd scripts that I was not aware of that deletes a brush entity if another entity is touching its volume is modified. One of the point entities modified happened to just barely be touching the volume of a key trigger and so that trigger was deleted by the modify text. In layman terms: I messed up because I'm a newb and had to revert less important changes I made in the modify file to fix it (will need to fix that stuff in the final).

The zip has once again been updated with the fixed modify and the standalone modify text has also been updated. It was a rather important trigger that controlled the appearance of some enemies, so if you notice that there seems to be enemies missing in an area--you have the wrong modify file. :(

March 6 - Well, obviously I shouldn't be playing with modify files. I thought I tested it with the new modify, but apparently I must not have because it seemed it was missing a bracket so it wasn't functioning correctly at all, which started the player with the wrong weapons and such. No one probably downloaded that version anyway right? Yeah, I hope so, but it's totally legit this time--for real.
[tab=135]Salt.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Well, Xenire already knows what is my opinion on this, but i´ll say it here again:

Is a good map, a very good one. Although the FPS drops are frequent, as well as some bugs, you should give a try if you didn´t played it yet. The gameplay enforces a lot the cooperation (and i didn´t liked at first that there are lives!), and some special moments makes the map awesome (and hard!).

SANICADVENTURE2
Polygon
Polygon

Post by SANICADVENTURE2 »

Hey! I remember this map. It's hard but it's good, I see a good work there!
Xenire
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Xenire »

Maestro Fénix wrote: Is a good map, a very good one. Although the FPS drops are frequent, as well as some bugs, you should give a try if you didn´t played it yet. The gameplay enforces a lot the cooperation (and i didn´t liked at first that there are lives!), and some special moments makes the map awesome (and hard!).
One day these problems will (/should) be no more as you well know, but I have no plans on doing another modify fix. As a bonus, the new version will make the last part of the map much more interesting and there will be some new custom content, but the current version will have to remain for now.

Glad to see some enjoy playing a map made to be more serious in terms of gameplay and not just a walk in the park.
[tab=135]Salt.
Plasma HeadCrabD
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by Plasma HeadCrabD »

amm.i found those level design error in your map. those are:

Code: Select all

NPC npc_zombie stuck in wall--level design error at (-1970.17 3930.45 16.47)
NPC npc_zombie stuck in wall--level design error at (-2465.21 3929.02 16.47)
NPC npc_zombie stuck in wall--level design error at (-2698.19 3634.39 16.47)
NPC npc_zombie stuck in wall--level design error at (-2899.71 3882.01 16.47)
NPC npc_zombie stuck in wall--level design error at (-2287.91 3687.87 16.47)
NPC npc_zombie stuck in wall--level design error at (-2640.58 4107.40 15.47)
NPC npc_zombie stuck in wall--level design error at (-2565.79 3374.12 15.47)
NPC npc_zombie stuck in wall--level design error at (-2105.27 4112.03 15.47)
NPC npc_zombie stuck in wall--level design error at (-2078.63 3395.02 15.47)
NPC npc_zombie stuck in wall--level design error at (-2492.42 3511.59 15.47)
Fix this.would you?
Current Projects:
oc_Maestro Fénix_HeadCrabD_Nz(just for boring)
oc_der_riese(don't even think about it.)
oc_nacht_der_untoten (work again!)
(also,you can see some pics about this map on my moddb blog.)
http://www.moddb.com/members/headcrabd
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Plasma HeadCrabD wrote:Fix this.would you?
He has prepared a fixed version for the Steam release