Vicarious Traumatization (Misinformation chapter released!)

Release your amazing Map creations here!
User avatar
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder
Posts: 1799
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Vicarious Traumatization

Post by Neico »

and please let someone fix your spelling, I stopped reading any text after the first 3 sentences, it just hurts too much... and the time the text is shown is sometimes a bit short (there are slower readers...), The best solution would be to hire some voice actors (not in the sense of paying, everyone is basically able to do some basic voice acting).

There are great ways to keep rushers from rushing, griefers from griefing and still keep the gameplay going (you're just not being creative here...), not like that one door that only opens once everyone jumps on a truck (what the bloody fraking hell?)

personally, I had no problem with the water not having a deadly texture, some other maps do that too, I had more problems with keeping onto the boxes because of the bunnyhop jump... (there's a convar for disabling it ;))
but you could put a sign there with a toxic icon or a simple "beware of dog" sign which would add some fun there (if you get what I mean)
Maestro Fénix wrote:Gun size becomes irrevelant after a while.
such a statement is a no go...
It doesn't get irrelevant after some time, people just don't care after a while (which leaves a negative impression on the maker for being too lazy to fix things up and test things out)

Just a hint: Alien Grunts are pretty strong by themselves already, but when we played it (Shana's dynamic skill script might have played a role there) they almost killed you with 5 hornets, even when having 100 HP / 100 Armor, and those hornets are pretty accurate... this leaves no time to look for a small clipboard, not when combined with accurate shooting vortigaunts...

Can't say much about the rest as these points already made me forget about the rest of the map and the fact that I won't touch this map anymore if it doesn't change drastically...
Image
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member
Posts: 2469
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 11:50 am
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Vicarious Traumatization

Post by MaestraFénix »

Neico wrote:and please let someone fix your spelling, I stopped reading any text after the first 3 sentences, it just hurts too much... and the time the text is shown is sometimes a bit short (there are slower readers...), The best solution would be to hire some voice actors (not in the sense of paying, everyone is basically able to do some basic voice acting).
Every sentence was spellchecked, but i´ll do it again if the test of today fails. I took 4 months for search a voice actor. If you know where they are, share it.
Neico wrote:There are great ways to keep rushers from rushing, griefers from griefing and still keep the gameplay going (you're just not being creative here...), not like that one door that only opens once everyone jumps on a truck (what the bloody fraking hell?)
In fact, it was only being on the zone where are the doors, although i changed that now. The only stuff that i certainly would remplace are the double buttons, but i want to keep the control to the players to choose when they are ready to continue.
Neico wrote:personally, I had no problem with the water not having a deadly texture, some other maps do that too, I had more problems with keeping onto the boxes because of the bunnyhop jump... (there's a convar for disabling it ;))
but you could put a sign there with a toxic icon or a simple "beware of dog" sign which would add some fun there (if you get what I mean)
The radiation sounds already tells you that is toxic, but is not a bad idea making a extra sign (although I´m remember putting a warning sign before enter the lift). I use the bunnyhop command, but the betatesters continued finding ways to "surf".
Neico wrote:such a statement is a no go...
It doesn't get irrelevant after some time, people just don't care after a while (which leaves a negative impression on the maker for being too lazy to fix things up and test things out)
Considering the other issues this is secondary. I´ll do it when i can. The statement, is just that only few players complained about it.
Neico wrote:Just a hint: Alien Grunts are pretty strong by themselves already, but when we played it (Shana's dynamic skill script might have played a role there) they almost killed you with 5 hornets, even when having 100 HP / 100 Armor, and those hornets are pretty accurate... this leaves no time to look for a small clipboard, not when combined with accurate shooting vortigaunts...
And already i nerfed their damage, so think how OP they are. On the test of today i reduced their health. This, along with the grenade launchers/shotgun double shot/grenades should be enough (as well as the turret if you save the engineer), although i´ll see it in-game the results.
Neico wrote:Can't say much about the rest as these points already made me forget about the rest of the map and the fact that I won't touch this map anymore if it doesn't change drastically...
You know I always update my stuff.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Image
Steam photos | Steam videos

Image
User avatar
SANICADVENTURE2
Polygon
Polygon
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:00 pm
Location: NEW WORLD ORDER

Re: Vicarious Traumatization

Post by SANICADVENTURE2 »

Neico wrote:and please let someone fix your spelling, I stopped reading any text after the first 3 sentences, it just hurts too much... and the time the text is shown is sometimes a bit short (there are slower readers...), The best solution would be to hire some voice actors (not in the sense of paying, everyone is basically able to do some basic voice acting).

There are great ways to keep rushers from rushing, griefers from griefing and still keep the gameplay going (you're just not being creative here...), not like that one door that only opens once everyone jumps on a truck (what the bloody fraking hell?)
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member
Posts: 2469
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 11:50 am
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Vicarious Traumatization

Post by MaestraFénix »

The last version of the map was nearly perfect. Players are now aware about what to do, weapons not longer blocks your vision, and finally, not longer crashes the server when someone joins. Aside from two minor bugs, i´ll have to modify it again, so, this is your last chance to report bugs/suggest stuff.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Image
Steam photos | Steam videos

Image
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member
Posts: 2469
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 11:50 am
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Vicarious Traumatization

Post by MaestraFénix »

Misinformation chapter officially released:

Server: http://www.mediafire.com/?nbk6xfqzm7bkwt3

Client: http://www.mediafire.com/?yyk9sp8es866rsw


Changelog:

(Changes done since the released prototype version)
  • Fixed strange map crash when someone joined to the game.
  • Lowered difficulty of the map:
    • The buttons now have more time to be pushed, so is not needed a perfect synchronization now.
    • Added some waypoints to incite the players explore and look around.
    • Alien Grunts now have the half of the health at the final zone.
    • Changed damage of the radioactive water: Now it deals less damage, but it increases the more time you are on the water.
    • The gap at the end of the conveyor is now covered by two fallen handrails (no need to jump now).
  • The ichthyosaur now swims when idle or there´s not an enemy on the water (before it stayed still on the last known position of the player).
  • Remplaced artifact at the tunnel for an areaportal. Does the same, it looks better.
  • The size and position of the medkit and M4 was lowered after the whinning of some players claiming that it ate half of their screen.
  • Some visual/Input-Output/gameplay changes.

I want to thank Tesla and Neico for their time helping me trying to see what made the crashes, as well as all the testers for their feedback.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Image
Steam photos | Steam videos

Image
Post Reply